Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Natural Monochrome

Winter is so often close to monochrome all on its own, that converting photos from colour is not exactly a giant step into photo editing.

I took some photos of the river bank from the little bridge a complete conversion seemed to me to be appropriate. What little colour that there was to be more distracting than anything.


From close to the same position, I honed in on the shape of the rocks. I think I see a mouth with teeth in the next photo.


On a drive in the country, I stopped to take this minimalistic photo. There was blue in the sky, but it detracted from the effect in my opinion, so I converted this photo too.


Although come the month of March, it may not be grand for the spirit that the snow lingers, it does still help outdoor photos. When the white does finally leave us, the landscape will be pretty doggone bleak until the green begins to appear. There will be a lag, unfortunately.

21 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Ah yes I see a face peeking out of the water in your 2nd photo. IMO, these would all be excellent photos on a calendar.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The last photo was quite impressive and indeed looks very minimalistic. Winter snow scenes always seem to pop more in B&W and once the snow and ice are gone, I agree that it will be quite a haul to see some colors emerge. Spring takes its time getting here as well.

Barbara Rogers said...

Lovely textural photos. I love the one with the mouth! And the first as well. I have dim vision or my new screen is somehow tinted, so the last one I wanted to increase the depth of the blacks so I could see it better. Perhaps that's old eyes talking.

Ed said...

That last photo certainly conveys the coldness of winter.

gigi-hawaii said...

Very austere looking pictures. Very different from Hawaii, even when it is storming here right now.

Shammickite said...

The middle picture makes me think of the front of an old abandoned car.

Margaret said...

Love that last photo! There is something so stark and beautiful about winter. Here we always have lots of green, so you can't always tell that it's winter.

Jenn Jilks said...

The trees are beginning to think about bursting. The critters are active, too!
Great shots.

DJan said...

Very nice monochromatic shots! :-)

William Kendall said...

Wonderful winter shots.

Mage said...

That last picture is marvelous. :)

MARY G said...

Ah. Ut think of all the lovely mud shots.

MARY G said...

But

Marie Smith said...

So true. It is bleak for a bit while nature awakens.

The Furry Gnome said...

I do like those photos!

Marcia said...

The last photo looks like a pen and ink sketch not a photograph. well done.

Joanne Noragon said...

Nice photography, as ever.

Rita said...

Beautiful winter shots! :)

Doris Potter said...

Although I'm not a fan of black and white photographs, I do like the third photo especially. It looks like a pencil sketch and is very pleasing.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

These are super shots...I love the contrast. The last one is my favorite I think, and I am always a sucker for a stark naked tree.
We are starting to see bits of green here and there, so I hope winter is gone on it's merry way.

Kay said...

I love trees in black and white. I guess it's the simplicity emphasizing the elegance of nature's lines.