Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Book Em Jonno

Yesterday, Shauna was texting us by about 7:30. On her drive into work, she had learned from The News that vaccine appointments in most of the province and certainly in our district were being opened for the 70+ cohort. She checked the provincial booking site, but it hadn't yet been updated. It soon was, however. Yay!

When I got online, there were >3500 people ahead of me already. The line moved quickly, and I was entering my data in about 10 minutes — health card # etc. I didn't have to input very much information.

I was accepted quickly, and soon nailed an appointment for April 12, just two weeks away. They only had Monday slots available in the nearest site to us. I presume the inoculation team (or at least the delivery team) roves from one site to another during the week, and Monday is the local day.

Then, I had to start  the process all over for Sue. By then, April 12 was full, so she was booked a whole week later, April 19. It is only a 10-12 minute drive to the next town, so we don't mind going twice, especially for this reason.

We will be shot with either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines.

Unfortunately, we will have to wait 4 months for the second shot. While that is not optimal, I have hope that the date moves up. However, the first jab will still offer a lot of protection, and come May, I will feel freer to get a little closer to Shauna and the kids. Edit: I have just read that the single dose is 80% effective, and you are 90% covered (wrong word?) after the second jab.

This called for a celebration, so you know what we did, right? Yup! One more coffee and breakfast at the park. But we were in fine feather, so we got out of the car for this photo, proving Sue and I are, indeed, birds of a feather. Note: I am the one on the right.


It turns out that we were fortunate to get appointments where and when we did because some of the people who later tried to book were disappointed. No doubt, that isn't the end result for them, just for that particular run. Phew! Glad Shauna was so alert.

We are tickled-pink happy about this. We had thought it would be months away for us, maybe June, but now it is mere weeks.





19 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Yay. Happy for you both. I will be able to book an appointment on Thursday. My husband has his for April 30th.

MARY G said...

Way to go! you are only a week behind your much older (78) Facebook buddy. And I had good luck with the booking site as well. Getting up early has benefits, eh.

Ed said...

Congrats! Fortunately here, they have been giving the second shots are scheduled by the CDC so my second Pfizer shot is coming up in a few weeks.

gigi-hawaii said...

Great!!! I am so happy for you. Cute photo.

Marcia said...

I did not realize you were so far behind in getting vaccinated. Here in NH age 40+ was opened yesterday and my son in law signed in and got an appointment that afternoon. Daughter who is 39 will sign up on Wednesday. In NY state other daughter is eligible as of today - 30+ sign up opened. We are now one week away from the maximum immunity as our shots were last Tuesday. Good luck with yours.

Margaret said...

That is great news! Both Pfizer and Moderna have high protection rates after one shot, although the second shot is there to ensure that the protection also lasts over time. Who knows how long but right now, I'll take it!

Patio Postcards said...

Yeah for you & Sue getting your vaccine appts booked. It is certainly the way out of this darkness for us all to get the vaccine. Those percentages of protection are encouraging.

Karen said...

The Ontario vaccination is in a bit of a mess. My brother aged 60 got his shot. My sister, aged 67 with a serious vulnerability, has not been able to get hers. She hasn't even been able to get on a list for an appointment (Kawartha Lakes area).
My aunt in Michigan was telling me how smoothly it all went for them. They registered, got a prescription via email then went to their local CVS pharmacy and got both their shots.

Red said...

Great that you're getting shots sooner than you thought. We booked and then looked around for something else. We got an appointment at a nearby drug store. I see you have gulls. they haven't got here yet.

The Furry Gnome said...

We've been very frustrated trying to get appointments here. No luck.

Rita said...

So happy for you guys!! :)

Joanne Noragon said...

Yes, hooray for Shauna.

Doris Potter said...

Glad you and Sue have your appointments. I got my shot (Pfizer) about 3 weeks ago and have had no side effects so far.

Blondi Blathers said...

Yes! Good for you two. -Kate

Chickens Consigliere said...

I'm glad you were both able to get appointments! I was able to get mine booked today so am also feeling happy and relieved.

MARY G said...

You need to photoshop a hat onto the right hand bird.

Jenn Jilks said...

Well done. We have to drive to Brockville...
And I have to wait, as I'm 64. Sigh.

William Kendall said...

Good for you!

Kay said...

I am so relieved for you. Hawaii has opened up to 60+. Thank goodness my brother was able to get vaccinated. Our island is starting to relax and our numbers are promptly going up again.