Thursday, March 11, 2021

Not Gold Finger but Cold Fingers

It was a bright day, so we ventured forth, but it was colder than we anticipated.

There is a long trail along the former railway line that was still in use up until about a dozen years ago. It is now called the OVRT because Ottawa Valley Recreational Trail is a mouthful. Actually, in daily use, it is more likely called the railway trail.

Whatever it is called, we headed out to a rural access point for a short walk, me sans my photo gloves on a cold day. My photo gloves are of winter thickness and give me the option of just exposing necessary fingertips to work the camera.

I had to take my regular gloves off completely, and boy oh boy, did my hands ever get cold.

I have found myself attracted to minimalistic photos this winter.


Sue noticed the ripples in the snow.


A tree cast some interesting shadows, but it didn't work in the photo. Do you see why?


The problem is that the tree isn't isolated and merges with the background. There was little choice shooting down from the much higher railway bed, and Gimpy AC was not about the try to descend the snowy bank.

Shooting from the other side in the next photo, I had the same problem but just cropped out the background in post. It is better IMO but hardly a winner. Not that winners matter much. It is about the doing and the learning.


Farther up the trail and at our turnaround point, there was a shed that interested the camera.


When I spotted a line of snowmobilers, I stopped walking, hoisted the camera, and began to squeeze the trigger.


Soon, they were upon us. There were friendly waves as they passed, but I had stopped shooting by then.


It was time to put the camera away, stuff my cold fingers into my coat pockets, and get back to the shelter of the car.




16 comments:

Marcia said...

Black and white really emphasizes the snow. Don't have a favorite though this time.

Shammickite said...

I like the shed best.

Barbara Rogers said...

Interesting shots. Very pale on my new computer screen...it's at 100% brightness but seems to have a greenish tint. Ugh. I do salute you as a suffering artist!

MARY G said...

I think the farther away snowmobilers is the better shot, but they are both good. Impossible to clean the tree shadow shot. Too bad. The shadow is neat.

gigi-hawaii said...

Too bad you forgot your photo gloves. I remember how cold it got in New York when I lived there.

Margaret said...

These are wonderful! The shed, the tree reflections and the snow eddies are my favorites. I like all of them though!

PipeTobacco said...

Exceptionally beautiful! The starkness is especially well presented in the images today.... with the brighter, whiter skylines adding to the effect! The images also have a rather surreal quality today.

I would like to see your photo gloves. Perhaps you could show us them at some point.

PipeTobacco

Marie Smith said...

The B&W looks great. I enjoyed all of these photos.

William Kendall said...

That second shot reminds me of a shot I have for an upcoming post, but taken much further away from the subject.

DJan said...

I like the first shot and the shed, too. Y0ur minimalist photos are quite lovely.

Red said...

And some of your readers will say, "I like snow photos."

Mage said...

That first photograph is a winner. I love it.

The Furry Gnome said...

I'm enjoying your minimalist style!

Joanne Noragon said...

More good ones. The snowmobilers would have thrown now up at your lens.

Rita said...

Snowmobilers caught on an adventure--LOL!
I love the shot with the snow ripples because I have always been fascinated by the effect of the wind on snow and think it is like art. :)

Kay said...

You take the most awesome black and white photos. These are absolutely wonderful!