Thursday, March 18, 2021

Other Marches

As we continue to be relatively free of snow this month, fb reminded me of a post from this week, 2017. I took these two pics from the comfort of my den while I waited for the contractor to come by to do our driveway. Our car was ensconced safely in the garage, so I wouldn't have had to shovel at all, or hardly at all.. Most people on this street use their garages only for storage. We are among the few who actually use our garage for the car -- but only in winter.



Then, I wondered what we were doing in other Marches. We certainly weren't doing much last March, nor will we be this March.

It turned out that visits to maple sugar camps were pretty habitual. The next two pictures are from our favourite place, Wheelers, which is a 45 minute drive. The first is from the restaurant and the second from the museum. They are from 2018. 



We did get there in 2019, but it was later in April when the weather was getting good. We have sometimes met Sue's sister there in years when she might have been staying at the cottage, which is closer than Toronto.


In 2016, we went both to Wheelers (first photo) and then to Temples, which is quite a bit closer. We took the kids to Temples, probably in March Break when they were still of an age to require adult minding.




We were also at Temples in 2015. We liked Temples but stopped going a few years ago when they adjoined all of their tables in rows so that they could pack more people in. We didn't like that and haven't returned. Their food was good through, and we would return (not this year though) if we learned that they had resumed normal seating. We seem to have missed Wheelers that year, I think because we had spent quite a bit of time away at the cottage.


I guess we also missed Wheelers in 2014, which is as far back as I am going to go, but we did get to Temples (first 2 photos) and Fultons (3rd photo). Fultons is the closest sugar camp, and it is quite popular, but it appeals a little more to kids than adults, or at least to these adults. Serving is cafeteria-style, and then visitors sit at benches to eat. If you require more maple syrup, you have to get up to get it.




Of the three, Wheelers is the only place to operate all year, every day except Christmas. When we have missed the spring visit, we have for sure made it in the fall when the trees are changing. Not last year, of course. Who knows about this year, but I think autumn may again become a possibility.




16 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

We missed the Elmira Maple Sugar Festival two years in a row now - thanks COVID!

I am not a fan of on mass bench restaurant seating but I must say that restaurant of yours looks very inviting, I like the rustic beams.

Just picked up The Clay Girl from the library & will start to read later today!

Barbara Rogers said...

Nice post...bookended by snowy photos of yesteryears. I love the beamed ceiling in that dining room. With Covid, perhaps they will go back to separate tables when you return again. Sue looks lovely as usual.

MARY G said...

I clearly remember that snow. Oh my aching back. We usually go to Wheelers, our closest although not by much. Yes, the line seating was a pain at Temples. Waiting now for our vaccines - JG has his date, but I have to wait for the next cohort - me in with all the baby boomers. AC, there is a *reason* the boomers annoy me. There are so many of you.

William Kendall said...

It appears this year is a bust again for the sugar shacks, but hopefully the maple syrup is going to have a good year for the producers.

Marcia said...

Our daughter has had her own sugar shack going this year. Though not a shack but an outside fireplace to boil the sap they've been collecting in5 buckets from 4 trees. We hope we will get to visit some sugar shacks for the first time this year.

Shammickite said...

I'm wondering if we will see any more snow.... it's almost Spring! We have had hardly any all winter, just a couple of snowy days.
Love maple syrup, OlderSon is tapping his trees, but weather hasn't been quite right yet.

gigi-hawaii said...

Now, that is a great idea for a post: Going back and viewing March events and photos. I might do the same, too, maybe.

Karen said...

I've noticed my neighbours are all tapping. Looking forward to a new supply for the year. We buy about six one liter bottles.

Marie Smith said...

Good memories. Maybe soon...

Love that last photo.

Red said...

Neat idea to go back with a series of posts about one set time.

Joanne Noragon said...

I remember most of those pictures.

Vicki Lane said...

Ah, back when we could go places . . .

Margaret said...

I would love to do that; it seems so quintessentially Canadian. My daughter and I talked about doing it when we were in Montreal, but didn't have time. I'm hoping fall is much more normal for ALL activities!

Stubblejumpers Café said...

The Archives widget in blogs makes looking back at "10 Years Ago" (and such) so convenient and it's always interesting and often surprising because sometimes those "olden days" seem like just a few months ago, when actually it was years. -Kate

DJan said...

I'm not much of a fan of sweets, but I sure do like Canadian maple syrup! It would be fun to see it being made.

Jenn Jilks said...

I cannot stand cafeteria-style tables, either. Give me peace and quiet and privacy!
We took the girls one year, but not since JB cannot have dairy yeast or eggs. Not much point!!!