Monday, September 28, 2020

Leftovers

I am writing on Sunday morning, for your Monday reading, when, once again, it is overcast. Sigh. I do hope for better tomorrow (or today as you read this) as we plan to meet Sue's sister, Heather, halfway between here and Toronto. You may recall that we have done this once before, back in August. I expect that we shall then not see her for many months. At least, I don't expect any amelioration in the pandemic during that time, and we are not about to sit around in a park in a Canadian January.

Due to the overcast skies today (still writing on Sunday) will be another day semi-wasted in terms of taking in autumn colour. We could go for a woodland walk if it stays overcast. Woodland photography can be good in obscured light. We shall see. (No, it was too windy.)

In the meantime, I have some leftover photos for your delectation.

The first is another photo from the little bridge, which is only one car wide. I think I like it better than the tighter cropped version which I posted yesterday.

The next photo is from just around the corner from the bridge: a view that wouldn't look very appealing in most seasons, but for a few weeks in autumn when ordinary scenes can become quite fetching, it doesn't look bad at all.

Earlier in the week, I took this photo during our park kaffeeklatsch. I always love the frame that that one tree makes, but this time I was also taken with the parallel arch of colour beyond and below. It was a wide photo, but I cropped it into a vertical once I saw it on the computer. Wise photographers have instructed that what you leave out of a photo can be as important as what you include. In this case, I decided that the river off to the right didn't help the composition.

The next photo is a leftover from last autumn. It is on the patio of a local restaurant, and I snapped this from the sidewalk as I was walking by. If I get around to it this year, I should go onto the patio for a photo from a different angle. If I go early enough, there won't be anyone there to bother.


Finally, for now,  this is from the summer. I hadn't intended on taking another photo of townhall on that day, but I liked how the spire seemed to pierce the two clouds. This image has been sitting in my Blogger photo folder since early August.


As you read this, unless you do Blogger very early (like I tend to do), we will likely be on our way to Tweed to sit in the park with Heather for a few hours. Whether it is a great day for photos or not, we will drive through some very nice fall colour, but along that highway, we will just be waving as we pass by at some speed with little room to safely pull off.


16 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Enjoy your day outing and even if you don’t find the best colors today, at least you will have had a nice get together.

Barbara Rogers said...

Loved the first photo...the reds seem more controlled and not as rampant as some of your latest photos...and the two trees leaning to make an archway is a good one...well, they all are good. The two trees seems to be tilting a bit, because of the slope, so I would like to crop it a bit differently...so the horizon seems more even.
But I do like it. I was also taken by the last one, where you show the town scene as well as the clouds...excellent choice! Have a good visit, a drive safely! Of course you're already home, unless you check your comments on your phone, (I don't.)

Shammickite said...

I am sure you will enjoy your day on the road. The colours are changing here too, I love this time of year.

DJan said...

Very nice photos again, and I do hope the weather cooperates so you can share some from your outing. Stay safe! :-)

Marcia said...

Chance of rain in the forecast for the next three days here. Some of the trees are dropping their leaves already yet one outside the window is still totally green. We enjoyed a nice leaf peeper drive yesterday. I'll share later this week. What is Blogger Photo folder?

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

It is difficult to choose a favorite but the one of trees framing the empty bench seems to tell a melancholy story which appeals to me.

Margaret said...

What gorgeous fall colors you have! In the first one the trees seem to stretch on forever. I never have any idea what to leave out or how to crop a photo! That's why you're a photographer and I am not. Have a wonderful visit and safe drive!

gigi-hawaii said...

You do like beauty. You see beauty in all things. Beautiful captures, AC.

Christina said...

I hope you and Sue had a lovely visit with Heather. The colours are amazing in your part of the world. I noticed that here, the leaves haven't turned yet and I am not sure if this is late or not... my memory draws a blank but maybe my photos will tell the truth.

Mage said...

I am so enjoying all these fall photos no matter their year. :)

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I love the photo that you cropped. The dark tree limbs forming an archway like that is enticing. Once again you show your "photographers Eye". Lovely.

Marie Smith said...

All gorgeous photos. This time of year, there is no shortage of beauty but you do an exceptional job capturing it, AC. Safe journey today!

MARY G said...

It is now Monday afternoon and the light is gorgeous. You should have had a fine drive.

Jenn Jilks said...

We nearly went to that park today. Instead, we did a drive around Portland, Westport, and home through the backroads.
Great photos, as always.
I'm learning to keep my reading glasses with me when walking. It's much easier to tell if a photo is in focus!

Rita said...

I'm a sucker for a touch of red leaves. :)
Enjoy your visit. With winter around the corner distancing outside will be out the window pretty soon so we northerners have to take advantage of the weather while we can. ;)

William Kendall said...

Your last shot is my favourite.