Thursday, September 17, 2020

What to Do

I heard from Bob about our almost-standard Thursday coffee in the park meeting, which pre-Pandemic was usually at McDs. The question was if we should meet at the park again or go to the Under Pressure cafe. I wrote back that we didn't want to cross the indoor meeting bridge just yet while outdoors is still suitable. Today, for example, the weather will be good enough for an outdoor meeting: 14C/57F, somewhat sunny, and not windy..

As for close encounter meetings indoors, we shall have to make some decisions in another few weeks. Bob and Barb don't see anyone but family and us, and I don't see anyone but them, except on rare and socially distanced occasions. Sue does see her lady friends, but, as you have seen, those meetings are also distanced outdoors. I am positive that we would be safe with Bob and Barb, and yet I hesitate to go beyond recent boundaries.

When Bob and I went on the photoshoot last week, we chose not to mask in the car although we were both prepared to do just that. Although we had car-masked earlier in the Pandemic, it didn't seem necessary on that recent trip. Yet, there is a significant rise in new cases provincially although not locally. What times we live in!

Speaking of the park, I took this photo earlier in the week when I dropped Sue off for her meeting. I seldom use my polarizing filter, but I did this time and was able to photograph  more clearly the rocks below the surface of the river for this Rock and Reed photo.


After Sue's meetup, on Tuesday she and I did go to the same cafe that I mentioned above. The proprietor has been struggling to keep her business afloat, so it is one spot that we are willing to chance in order to support her. There is masking until seated and then proper distancing between tables.

She's the one who grants me display space. This is my one section. I have another three photos farther along the wall.

Can't avoid reflections

What the heck! I may as well show the other section as well.


While there, I took this candid of Sue. The backlighting was anything but optimal, but with a little fiddling in post, I think it developed well enough.


Sue looks pensive in the photo, which seems appropriate, as we ponder how to navigate life in 2020. Currently, we are not meeting with Sha and the kids who are back in school. What should we do about that as well as our coffee dates?





17 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

I agree to be cautious...I am now hugging my best friends while masked...and even had one into the house to chat for a few minutes...we stayed masked too. It sure was funny sitting in the living room. Loved your rocks and weeds and reflection photo! And the wall displays are also very nice. I would probably buy one of your prints!

DJan said...

We are all in the same boat. Our current phase of reopening is still not allowing gyms to open, and I sure miss mine, but I don't think it's safe yet. It will be awhile before we get back to some semblance of normal.

Mara said...

I think it's a very difficult decision to make. It all depends on your health and the health of others. Do you keep your distance or do you hug and kiss. What else will you be doing: singing, shouting, talking, watching a film. In the end you have to make the decision about what you feel safe with. And if you don't: just be honest about it and don't go or meet up in a different way.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

A time of so many decisions which may be very important ones......We are having a family dinner outside with distancing tomorrow. My grandchildren are back in school but there are no cases in our school district.

Marcia said...

Everyone needs to be cautious in their own way but not to the extent that it compromises other's health. We mask when out in stores always! Mask when we pick up grandkids from school - required. We have made no friends yet here so don't have that to worry about.

Jenn Jilks said...

It is time to be cautious, indeed. Already, they've closed a H.S. in Pembroke. More will follow.
I love the photo with the rocks, but your Sue is beautiful!

MARY G said...

Had coffee outside on Monday but it was really too cold. Better later in the week. But we have to figure out safe meeting places for later on in the year. It is so necessary to have some social contact. Love the reeds shot. Equally the candid of Sue.

gigi-hawaii said...

Your framed photos on the wall look so artistic. Bravo! I don't see friends and family in person anymore, but I do socialize with some of them on Facebook. And Maria does come by with groceries 2-3 times per month.

Vicki Lane said...

The photos look great. It is a conundrum about being with others. We recently had an outdoors, socially distanced lunch with friends at their house--and were hesitant about it except that one of the d=friends had recently had heart surgery and seemed eager for a little company. We never went to restaurants much anyway and will continue that for the foreseeable future. We really do weigh every risk and limit them as much as possible.

Margaret said...

I will do distanced get togethers outside (and masked if we're not eating/drinking) but I'm not comfortable inside yet. Perhaps I will be in the future. I keep seeing others in restaurants and coffee shops, and wish I weren't concerned about it. However, it only takes one bad interaction. I don't want to find that out the hard way, so I am probably overly cautious. Your photos are incredible! I think you could see the family, as long as everyone is masked--or outside if the weather holds.

Marie Smith said...

We aren’t meeting with our daughter and the kids now either., for a few weeks anyway. We had one more case, an essential worker who isolated when he entered the province. We haven’t had community transmission here yet.

William Kendall said...

For the moment, I'm still in the take-out as opposed to dine in camp when it comes to restaurants and cafes.

Kay said...

I do love that meditative photo of Sue. She is beautiful. Your display photos are really awesome!!!

Joanne Noragon said...

I have no social suggestions. None.

Mage said...

G and I mask in the car. We do takeout no eating inside.

Rita said...

Yes, it is do you or don't you. No matter what you do there is a degree of ris involved. A new world...for a good while, I think.

I love the photo with the underwater rocks! :)

dellgirl said...

This is quite a tough decision to have to make . . . "if-it-ain't-one-thing, it's another". I wish you well with whatever you two decide. I love the photo Gallery, looks so professional.

Wishing you all the best! Stay Safe, my friend!