Friday, September 25, 2020

The Beginnings of the Anti Abortion Movement

I am posting a link today to a fairly long piece by Frank Schaeffer, who to his deep regret was in on the beginnings of the evangelical anti-abortion movement. In fact, his father was the main perpetrator. You might be surprised to learn that abortion wasn't always an issue for evangelicals and that the Schaeffers had a difficult time getting it going. Eventually abortion became adopted as a wedge issue, and the rest, unfortunately, is history.

Clicking on the image will take you to the article, which is about a 10 minute read if I remember correctly.



8 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I didn’t realize that pro choice is such a recent stand for evangelicals. What always amazes me is how they have such an anti abortion stand but don’t care about people who are born, such as the children in detention.

DJan said...

I agree with Marie. Once a fetus becomes a person, their value seems to diminish. But abortion, I always thought, was a personal issue. I will read the article. Thanks, AC.

Marcia said...

Wow. Part of history I did not know. Scary too. Started thinking about the Taliban and ISIS before they were mentioned near the end of the article. If that woman is the nominee I hope her extreme views will be outed and Republicans will show they have a backbone and not okay her.
Every woman should have a choice!

gigi-hawaii said...

I will always be pro-life.

Anvilcloud said...

Gigi. You didn't read the article, did you? It had nothing to do with being pro-birth of pro-choice. It was about the history of the movement.

I hate it when this happens!

William Kendall said...

Thanks for sharing, AC.

Margaret said...

That Amy Coney Barrett is one TERRIFYING person. It's hard for me to believe that such a person could even be a judge, much less considered for a spot on the US Supreme Court. I had no that her beliefs were that extreme. This is an interesting/frightening article. I do remember when abortion was mostly accepted as a necessary evil by evangelicals. It wasn't the flashpoint that it is today. However, I had no idea why that was so.

Joanne Noragon said...

A lot of damage is done restricting the rights of many by a few.