Tuesday, September 08, 2020

The Garden and the Door

I don't pass by St James Church often, but I have chanced by at least twice in the past two weeks, and I noticed this small garden near the church entrance leading to a rather fetching doorway. In actual fact, I don't believe this entrance is used any more in favour of a more commodious one in a newer addition.

In one of these pass-bys, I was on foot and stopped to chat with a lady who was working the garden at the time. I shouldn't have been surprised that she still carried her English/British accent, for the English are somewhat known for their fine flower gardens.

I told her I would try to return with my camera, and about a week or so later, I kept my word, not that she would know. I returned in the early evening when the sun was lowering but not so low that the garden would be shaded by trees across the way. At least that was my hope, but it turned out that I could have gone even a little earlier.

As charming as both the garden and door were, I didn't find it easy to get a good photo. Perhaps I would have done better if I had been prepared to trammel all over the plants, but I wasn't.

This wide angle photo may be my favourite of the half dozen or so attempts that I made. I like how the two flower beds and the pathway and fence all lead to the doorway. I think I also like the purple flowers in the immediate foreground. Unfortunately, I couldn't get them totally sharp due the wind which wasn't affecting the yellow rudbeckia as much. As in some of the other following photos, I do wish that I had more breathing space at the top of the doorway.

I think the above attempt works a little better than the next composition where I changed the angle to get the background grasses to the right in the frame. However, I do like that the breathing space over the doorway.


The next two were taken with a normal and fixed lens. I think the first is my second favourite of the five that I have processed. Due to the angle, the flowers lead just about up to the door, thus obscuring the asphalt path. I would have preferred to get the whole doorway in the frame, but I couldn't manage it at this distance and with this lens. Or perhaps I could have done it but didn't; I am not sure.



Finally, I tried a photo from farther back with a longer zoom. Once again, it would have been better to get the whole light in. I try to get it right, but I fail too often.


I am glad that I thought of doing this little shoot. It is somewhat remarkable that I actually remembered to go back there and that I picked a reasonably good time of day for it. All in all, none of the photos are perfect. The photos that I like best for certain reasons tend truncate the doorway at the top. Sigh. I guess I'll never figure this out.

16 comments:

Marcia said...

The door really glows. Is it the flowers playing off the door or just the light?

Anvilcloud said...

I think it is the sun, which it hitting the door better than the flowers. I should have been easier to get better light on the flowers.

DJan said...

The golden color of the door and the flowers is stunning. I love these pictures very much and don't know why you would be disappointed in them. :-)

Anvilcloud said...

I am not disappointed. I quite like them. It is just that one sees what could be better.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Every time I think I've seen the "best" of your photos, AC, you come up with something like this, Absolutely some of your best. The colors of the floral area backed by the lovely door are outstanding. You could make a small fortune if you made the best one into a postcard and maybe split your profits with the church ... a win-win for you both !!

Anvilcloud said...

Aww ... thanks Ginnie. I think you're my biggest fan.

Marie Smith said...

These are great, AC. What a great hobby you have, experimenting with the lenses and trying different positions, angles, looking for subjects.. You do a great job.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I really like these photos. A beautiful place. I hope you return in the spring and early summer when it will all be different.

Margaret said...

Such a peaceful feeling to look at the photos. Your first one is my favorite; it's magical, like a fairy tale.

Red said...

Persistence pays of and you got some great photos.

Blondi Blathers said...

It's fun to see them and read your thoughts about them too. -Kate

Vicki Lane said...

What a lovely spot! I like the second photo with the curve of the path but they're all nice.

Joanne Noragon said...

I think all are wonderful, for one reason or another. Mostly based on the use of flowers.

Barbara Rogers said...

I hate it that I didn't get to see these this morning, since Blogger didn't update your post in my listing. Anyway, better late than never! I think I like the first one best...but I agree about trying to get the whole door into a shot. However, what struck me (as well as others have mentioned) is the glow of light on that wood! You couldn't have had that happen at many other times during the day. Good catch!

Rita said...

All their gardening work is now appreciated by strangers all over the place with your help. :)

Jenn Jilks said...

Good work, I enjoy the way you explain your process.
I'm so frustrated with photography. I cannot focus my eyes to see through the viewfinder. I have to work on this. Maybe serious reading glasses.