Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Autumn Cometh with Reflections and a Duck

Sue and her friends met in the park for their usual Tuesday Kaffeeklatsch, and as usual I drove her and did the manly thing by carrying and setting up her lawn chair. While she is quite capable of doing this, there have been times when parking is limited, and she has had to port the chair for a rather long way. If necessary, I am able to park temporarily and quickly head off.

At less than 10C/50F it was a cold morning, but they stuck it out for more than an hour. The weather must warm up. Mustn't it? It's still just mid-September afterall. In normal years, which I have been told that this isn't, we should be able to socialize like this for another month or more.

When I dropped her off, the river was like a mirror, and colour was beginning to appear. So, I snapped, so to speak. It was a somewhat dull day, so I did turn up the brightness and vibrancy in post. After all, one wants to make the most that one can of the fleeting fall colours.


I left to do some shopping, Unfortunately, I missed firsthand the lady with the pet duck, but at least Sue got the visual proof.


Does this remind anyone of Ruth's pet duck, Rosa, in the Inspector Gamache novels by Louise Penny?  I wonder if Penny was inspired by seeing a pet duck like this at one point.

The park being adjacent to a high school, Sue couldn't help noticing that whatever the precautions and procedures inside, the kids were not masking or distancing outside at a time when COVID numbers are on the rise. Fortunately for us and these students, most of the increase has occurred in a few urban centres, namely Toronto and Ottawa, and there are only two active cases in our rather large health region at the moment. Still kids, you are not immune and invincible.



14 comments:

Marcia said...

What is wrong with that young woman's jeans? A duck on a leash? Never heard of a pet duck except in Louise Penny's books.
Your fall colors are showing. Here too!

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Nice post, AC. I love the way you got the bright colors in your photos.

DJan said...

Great reflections! And that poor duck on a leash? Not sure how I feel about that one. Her jeans are the height of fashion. Who would pay for jeans that have holes in them? Sigh. I'm too old to appreciate them. :-)

Blondi Blathers said...

That pet duck reminds me of the time a tame goose appeared in town. Unfortunately the photos don't show on the webpage (https://wadenanews.ca/uncategorized/you-never-know-who-will-come-calling/) but I remember it well, as I was the staff member who walked over to see it and wrote up the account. I still worry that it didn't do well -- being so tame and possibly inexperienced -- with the wild bunch. -Kate

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh what fun, a pet duck who gets to paddle a little on a leash. The bright colors are so welcome...especially since it will be another month here before we get them. With all our wet weather this summer, colors probably won't be that vivid. Loved Sue's gathering with friends at an appropriate distance.

Marie Smith said...

The pet duck is priceless. You have way more colour in the trees than we do now. It is cold here today as well. Only 7C this morning.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Glorious color is beginning. I love the reflections! Once we lived next door to a woman who had a pet goose who was very protective of her even to the point of attacking her elderly mother and her husband. A duck would probably be a wiser if rather surprising choice for a pet...Hope Sue and her friends are able to socialize out of doors for a good while yet.

gigi-hawaii said...

I am glad that Sue is able to socialize outdoors. Your shots of the colorful trees are beautiful.

Margaret said...

I was thinking of Rosa and Ruth myself when I saw the photo! Probably because I recently got the latest Gamache novel. It doesn't sound like Three Pines will be in this new novel though since it takes place in Paris. This duck owner looks very young. I love reflection photos, and these are beautiful! I have no idea what to expect from fall around here. Right now I just want to get rid of this noxious smoke!

William Kendall said...

Lovely fall colours!

Today is warmer than yesterday was.

Kay said...

How lucky that Sue is able to still meet with friends. We haven't done that yet with the lock down. It was very bad here in Hawaii, but our COVID numbers are slowly going down. Our lieutenant governor who is a doctor just contracted COVID himself and is on quarantine.

Wow! The water really is like a mirror. It's gorgeous!

Joanne Noragon said...

The girl with the duck poses happily, I see. I love the red door.

Vicki Lane said...

I like the meeting in the park!

Jenn Jilks said...

I'd forgotten about the pet duck in that tale, Rosa.
I think a new book is coming out soon. I have it on order.

Wonderful seeing the women out having a visit.
I fear what will happen in the schools. At this point, there sure was justification for shutting it down last term.

Our granddaughter, in gr. 8, just got an email yesterday for her online classes to being Friday morning.