Thursday, September 10, 2020

Back to School Portraits

After the group back to school photos of yesterdays post, we took our two kids out for portraits. Once again, the shoot was problematic. I thought I had waited until late enough in the afternoon to avoid high sun, but we still went too early and could scarcely find a spot where the bright sun did not make things difficult. I couldn't quite match the rather good results from the previous year when we went to a different location and a little later.

Live and learn. I keep saying that, but . . .

I think some of you misapprehend me when I self-critique. I may be fairly pleased with the results but can still see what would have made the photos better. That was the case with the church photos that I posted two days ago. I actually liked them a fair bit but could see what could have made them even better. Sometimes, however, there is not enough wiggle room to get the composition in the very best way.

Jonathan still hasn't mastered smiling on cue, but I did get one photo that I thought worked quite well.


We kept trying, and this more serious countenance is good enough.


Danica, however, learned to flash a beaming smile on cue some time ago.



I also like this more enigmatic countenance. I have a mono version, but I will stick to colour for now to save you a photo.


When it was time to leave, I caught this next pose ad hoc. It was unplanned and may be my fave of the whole shoot. Once again, to save you, I'll just present the mono version this time.


This is another fave of the two of them. When I converted to mono, the bright spots in the leaves seemed to work better than in colour. I will consider printing this one large.


Along with this bench photo, if I were to print one of the Danica photos, which do you think it should be?



12 comments:

Marcia said...

I like the second one of Danica.

Barbara Rogers said...

These are great. I wish I had a photographer in our family to do the same. If you were to follow my vote, it would probably be the second one in color. It's very rich to my eyes.

Marie Smith said...

I love the fourth photo! Just gorgeous!

DJan said...

The fourth one, of course. And the last one on the bench is outstanding! :-)

Margaret said...

The bench photo is outstanding! I had never thought that a mono would be better than color, but I see your point about the leaves. I like the third (thoughtful) picture. They are all excellent!

Mage said...

The top Danica photo. Yes, they are all a treat.

Tabor said...

Great photos I really want to see my grands and attempt something like this. Not sure I am a very good portrait photographer, though.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...


These are, again, great photos. Each one shows something special about the grandchild being photographed and it is really difficult to chose a favorite.

gigi-hawaii said...

I like the second color photo of Danica.

Joanne Noragon said...

I can't vote. Is that her royal wave?

Rita said...

Those kids have the best school pictures!! :)

William Kendall said...

Good portraits!