Friday, September 18, 2020

Searching for the Right Words

Yesterday, I found myself at sixes and sevens. It is a phrase that has come down to me that is probably common for people with British forebears. Perhaps everyone is familiar with it, though. I just don't know. What say you?

Wikipedia: "At sixes and sevens" is an English idiom used to describe a condition of confusion or disarray.

In my world, the expression doesn't so much refer to confusion but something more like, "I am not quite sure what I want or what to do with myself." Well, I guess that is a type of confusion, but perhaps, at loose ends would be even a more apt turn of phrase.  

Collins: If you are at a loose end, you are bored because you do not have anything to do and cannot think of anything that you want to do. In American English, you usually say that you are at loose ends. [informal]

That's close to it although I wasn't, strictly speaking, bored as such. I could think of things that I might have wanted to do but was prevented for one reason or another. Maybe I was experiencing ennui

Dictionary: a feeling of listlessness and dissatisfaction arising from a lack of occupation or excitement.

No, that's not quite it either.

All of the expressions are on the verge of what I was feeling but perhaps not quite nailing it either.

To escape this feeling, however it should be described, I went up to the nearest bridge to take a photo of that tree, the one that turns colour early every year.

Alas and alack! It was not to be. The tree in question is the bare bones one on the point to the right. It is either done already or dying. I think it is a bit of both. Sadly.

Wiktionary: an idiom combining a pair of terms with similar meaning. The first syllable in each word is like a sigh; alas is from Old French meaning weariness; and lack is from Middle English meaning loss.

There was another tree, actually two, approaching full glory.

Remind me not to bother returning to that spot. The bridge was highly trafficked, and even though there was a sidewalk, I wasn't comfortable with trucks and cars whizzing by about two feet from my bottom as I leaned over to scrutinize the scenes in the viewfinder.

Back at home, once I was done with that little photoshoot, I once again found myself at loose ends, at sixes and sevens, and in a state of ennui.

Perhaps I was betwitz and between: wanting to do something but not knowing quite what that might be.

Dictionary: not fully or properly either of two things.


14 comments:

Marcia said...

I like all those expressions.

Two residences ago when we lived in the woods there was one or two particular black gum trees that always turned red before anything else. We knew fall was not far away when we spotted those trees in red.

Too bad about the one on the point.

DJan said...

I love remembering once again all those phrases. But you are not alone in trying to decide just what it is we're feeling during these trying times. I read a quote that resonated with me: "It seems that rock bottom has a basement."

Barbara Rogers said...

Good exploration of your feelings and word meanings...which I admit to now knowing that well before now. I've been in group counseling as part of my rehab program, which forces me (gently) to identify how I'm feeling. It's sometimes very hard to identify a word for an emotion. Maybe we should start making up terms as to how we're feeling. Gotta keep using our brains somehow or another. I like the colorful trees, and am sorry the one that used to provide color has met its demise.

Marie Smith said...

The dictionary alone appears to have taken up some of your time, AC. I find a good book helps too.

Margaret said...

Those expressions seem to describe my 2020 for the most part. Unable to do what I want, so trying to figure out palatable alternatives. Those are beautiful fall colors. Ours are starting up too. We don't have too many pretty reds yet, but lots of yellows.

William Kendall said...

Lovely fall colours!

gigi-hawaii said...

That's something that we don't see here in Hawaii: the colors of Fall. Beautiful shots.

Red said...

I have never heard the term sixes and sevens.

Joanne Noragon said...

Fall is a fickle time of year.

Rita said...

Funny and clever. Thoroughly enjoyed this. :)

Kay said...

I haven't heard those phrases in a long time, but I'm feeling it. I'm finishing up our genealogy project, but I pretty tired of it now. The motivation is leaving me.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I enjoyed the dictionary lessons and the tree colors, but too bad about a favorite spot not being worth the trip this year.

Vicki Lane said...

I'm familiar with the saying though I never hear it used in conversation. We have no fall color yet but tonight is PLUNGING to 45 so maybe it's on its way. Lovely pictures!

Jenn Jilks said...

Don't return to that spot!
When I retired I was clearly at 6's and 7's. Well, once I finished writing my book.