Tuesday, September 01, 2020

His Royal Dad-Ness

Somebody is having a birthday this week. It is actually tomorrow, but we expected Wednesday to be the night before school began, so we scheduled the party for Monday, the usual family dinner night. School opening has since been put until next week, so I was told we could also now go out for ice cream on Wednesday.

Gifts were brought to my chair, and photos ensued.



Gifts were mostly booze. I shall attempt to explain that oddity below.


I was also gifted masks featuring my favourite hockey team. Yup, Canadian, eh? It seems as though you can't have too many these days.

Shauna made lasagna. It was scrumptious.

Instead of cake we had apple pie, a long time fave of mine. As I ate my piece, I remembered eating apple pie at my grandmother's house, almost seventy years ago. It was good then, and this pie was yummy.


Now . . . about the booze. Might it appear as though I am a big boozer?

Actually, the opposite is true. I haven't consumed much booze in my entire seventy-three years. I have had the occasional beer and can appreciate the taste only under certain conditions, such as with pizza, but I am not really a fan and haven't consumed any for, perhaps, a year. I don't mind wine and have it a few times a week, but I could easily live without it. A box can last me a long time, even with Shauna having bountiful glasses at our Monday dinners. Now I have the opportunity try liquors of various kinds.

While I have had a bit of rye and rum in my lifetime -- a very little bit -- I haven't had gin, vodka, scotch or moonshine, but they were in the gift box as was spiced rum. You may have noticed that none of the bottles are large, but there is a variety.

When I was asked what I wanted for my birthday, I was stumped, as was the whole family. Then, this possibility came to mind. I am fairly certain that alcohol will continue to mean very little to me, but I now have a chance to experience a little more in these my later years.

I also came rather late to coffee and largely began to drink it for social reasons, which is also a small consideration with regards to alcohol. Not that I hang around with heavy drinkers, but I can perhaps be a bit more knowledgeable and confident should the occasion arise.


16 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Happy 🎂 Birthday wishes to you, John. The best gifts are being able to celebrate surrounded by those you love and with some great food as well. The apple pie with candles looked delicious and a great departure from the usual cake. Best Wishes for a good year ahead and sadly you can never have too many masks it seems.

Marcia said...

Happy Birthday. Looks like your family knows how to celebrate you!

DJan said...

Happy birthday! Congratulations on having such a wonderful party in the middle of a pandemic. I agree that you can never have too many masks these days, and that is a cool one. :-)

Jenn Jilks said...

Happy birthday! What a fun party. I hope you have a great day.

Barbara Rogers said...

Happy Birthday! Loved your birthday presents...hope you find some good recipes to use all of those spirits. Great to see you in the pictures today...you don't look a day older than last year...but I want a piece of that pie! My favorite too! But unfortunately it's not on my diet these days. Enjoy your day!

Christina said...

Happy Birthday! You look happy, as does your family.
I am not much of a drinker either, I can go for weeks without a glass of wine or any other tipple. I do like the occasional gin and tonic and the gin you were gifted is one I like. It tastes better with full sugar tonic water for some reason. I have no idea why and maybe that's just me.
As for schools being delayed, I hope this means that good protective measures are in place before the start (unlike here, where things were shambolic). Fingers crossed!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Happy Birthday to you! What a wonderful family you have!

gigi-hawaii said...

What a lovely birthday party! You have a loving family. Happy birthday. Aloha from Hawaii.

Margaret said...

Happy Birthday! Creative gifts and I'm sure that trying a bit of those different alcohols will be interesting. I dislike most hard liquor and wine(did kind of like bourbon, but not enough to drink it regularly), but do like beer, unfortunately. I love the photos with your family! The lasagna does look delicious; it's one of my favorites.

Red said...

Happy birthday. I hope you had a great day. This booze should last until the next birthday.

Marie Smith said...

Happy birthday AC. Enjoy the variety of tastes. It will be interesting to see what your favourite is.

Shammickite said...

I hope you have a memorable birthday. But if you consume all that alcohol you may not be able to remember anything at all!

MARY G said...

Happy Birthday! Happy tippling. (JG gets Scotch.) Many, many happy returns.

William Kendall said...

Happy Birthday!

Rita said...

Happy birthday! And I hope you still go out for ice cream next week, too. ;)

Vicki Lane said...

What a terrific birthday party!