Monday, August 31, 2020

Later Editing

My general habit is to edit photos right after a shoot. I did that with the sunrise photos a few mornings ago. However, there was one photo that I dismissed then, partly because the tower was neither centered nor placed effectively off-centre.

When looking back, however, I decided that I could crop the photo to put the tower dead centre. Sometimes, centering works, sometimes it doesn't. I think it works in this case.


I pushed the developing a little harder in that photo to really bring out the colours that were already there but were a little subdued: the purples and magentas in the darker part of the sky. They were there but dull in the RAW image. I really like the result although darker images like this are often not best seen at Blogger sizes. It looks very good at full screen on my computer. Clicking the image may help.

I also returned to the kids' photo by the tree. I had posted the original version earlier but wanted to see how it would work in mono. I think it looks a little better this way: not the very best but also not bad for a quick snapshot.






10 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh my, how lovely that deeper colored sky is! And I especially like the way the children are in mid-field between the textured trunk and the almost off-focus background. Yes B&W does it justice.

gigi-hawaii said...

I like how you cropped the photo to make the tower in the center. Very clever of you. Love the colors, too. Your grandkids look so sweet.

Marie Smith said...

Love that photo of the kids in nature!

Red said...

I try hard to learn some things about photography from your comments.

Joanne Noragon said...

I liked that tower from the outset, the way it's top light could match so many of the colors of the sunset.

Vicki Lane said...

I like hearing about your editing decisions.An seeing the results.

dellgirl said...

Thanks for the lesson in "Greek". I read what you said and somewhere in the back of my mind, I think I understand. The photos are beautiful, as usual. I LOVED them the first time too. The photo of the kids is priceless!

Wishing you all the best! Stay Safe, my friend!

Margaret said...

Both photos are gorgeous, and yet so different. That's the joy of photography! You are so talented!!

DJan said...

That sky and tower are incredible in this picture. Good job! :-)

William Kendall said...

I like both in turn.