Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Hitting Close to Home

The remote grocery shopping app for our grocery store chain has fizzled — at least for us and our store at present.

As soon as we picked up our previous order last week, we started a new one. I added some items to the cart and booked a pickup time. The first available time was a week and a half away, April 6, but I booked it anyway, or thought I had.

We continued to add items to the cart as it became likely that we would need them by the time we would be able to pick up the order. You are supposed to be able to add items until the day before pickup.

But when I thought to check on the weekend, our delivery date had disappeared, and the app would not give us the opportunity to pick another: "No time slots available."

I am disappointed and a little frustrated but not angry as I am sure everything is overloaded with a volume that no one ever expected.

===========

Meanwhile, I have seen that miserable but cowardly, anonymous anti-boomer guy posting his vitriol on many of your comment sections. He sure has a lot of time on his paws, but I think I should feel bad that he has not gotten to me yet. It just shows how low my blog ranks on the totem pole. lol

===========

The pandemic is getting closer to us and has reached a seniors residence in the town nearest us, causing the deaths of 9 people, one of them a worker. How awful. The anti-boomer spammer is still not really getting his wish though, as almost all of these poor folk would belong to the pre-boom generation. But he would likely be too stupid to know that.

============

I am very worried about our daughter who works in a senior residence. She works in such a sensitive environment but takes it upon herself to go out to shop for both herself and us. I am tempted to go shopping rather than be a burden. I imagine that I will do this at some point, but I would like to exercise as much caution as possible in these early days.

And there it is . . .  Sha has just posted that the virus has landed in the other retirement home in Perth, and now it is only a matter of time. Hopefully, she will be wrong about this and that it stays away from her place..

I have to admit to getting a emotional and losing it just a bit over this development. So upsetting.

=============

And, of course, a selfie. I think we must be in uniform to police those who are not self-isolating. :)



15 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Our daughter is a nurse in a nursing home here. We worry about her too. These are such difficult days! I keep a focus on gratitude for what is now. It helps me cope every day.

MARY G said...

Yes. Worry. Your precious daughter. Mine. What we can do for them is to stay safe, as you two are doing, and give them one less thing on their mind.

PipeTobacco said...

It may be that your “shopper” canceled his/her appointments on that day for some reason. If the items are still in your electronic cart, I would just keep watching to see if a space opens. We did that and ended up finding one last Sunday. We have another set up but no “shopper” yet either.

PipeTobacco

Barbara Rogers said...

I'm concerned about a granddaughter who works part time in an assisted living facility in Ohio...just a couple of hours a day delivering meals to residents' rooms, and she's just a high school senior. I've told her father I really want her to quit. They seem to encourage her to think of herself as essential, but take her temp before she's allowed to work. But she's not given a mask to protect herself! I am a worried grandmom, just like you and your daughter, who is at least a trained professional.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Your concern for your daughter is understandable, John. It's shared by so many others who have family and friends working to help others, whether infected or not. Hopefully she and most of them will be OK. The grocery deliveries have been overwhelmed it seems. We are going out on our own to grocery shop as there are no other family member in the same state.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I am sorry to hear about the covid-19 in senior residences...My daughter also shopped for me. She only goes out every two weeks for this but of course, I worry, too. The boomer troll is just that, a sad troll. Ignore that person. I may like this photo of you and Sue the best of any so far.

dellgirl said...

This is really thought provoking, and also very interesting. We all need to think seriously about this pandemic. It will probably get worse before it gets better...sadly. It is good of you to share this with us, thank you for doing that. I’ll be keeping your family, especially your daughter, in my prayers.

Wishing you all the Best!

Shammickite said...

Don't feel left out, the anti-boomer guy hasn't visited me yet either!
I have had the same problem with ordering groceries, I filled my "cart" and then there were no pick up times available, so I called the number on the web site.... constantly busy. I have a pick up scheduled for April 8 so I think I can last till then. But pick up slots all full up to April 21 now.
I hope you daughter's place stays virus free, but it's such a worry. And it seems to spread so fast once it's in a senior's home, they are all so vulnerable.

Jenn Jilks said...

Yep. I heard it was in Perth, too. It had to be. There are so many who travel in our area. A lot of the people who volunteer with JB take a month or two south. My daughter is shopping Friday, and will pick us up some stuff. We emailed Foodsmiths and they take an order for pickup, too.
We'll get through this!

gigi-hawaii said...

We are not allowing our older daughter to shop for us anymore. After all, she is 41 and her children are both very young. If she gets infected, what will happen to her kids? So, David does all of our shopping during the designated senior hour at the market. I am the one with the weak immune system.

Joanne Noragon said...

That is a huge number to be cut down in one facility. I am so sorry. You two take care.

Vicki Lane said...

Oh, dear, that is worrying, indeed. My daughter-in-law works ir a hospice care organization and visits at least one nursing home--which has us jittery. My husband has been doing the shopping avec gloves, mas, and sanitizer during the deniors early hour and he says it's been very good -- not crowded and almost eveything on my list was there. Take care of yourselves! May we all get through this.

Rita said...

I would be losing sleep for your daughter's sake, too! Such scary times. So sorry to hear about the deaths at that senior residence. I live in one so I think about it. At least we have separate apartments so it's not like a nursing home or assisted living, but it's a whole building full of vulnerables. My mother lives in one down in Minneapolis, too, and she's already on oxygen because of a mass in her lung. Scary times. Praying for your daughter. Hope we all stay safe and well. And that the boomer-hater, poor miserable thing, fins some love in his heart. ;)

Mara said...

It seems that care homes are struck everywhere. Two towns close to us have had a massive outbreak and several deaths to report as well. It really is getting closer. We are still doing our own shopping, but all restrictions we had have been prolonged until the end of April.

I hope your daughter will be okay, it really hits close to home now.

Big hug!

Mage said...

I worry too. Get me outta here.