Monday, March 23, 2020

A Fowl Sunday Walk

The good news is that I slept well last night. The bad news is that it is snowing out. And it's a driving snow which looks totally unpleasant. Some snowfalls are pretty, but this one isn't — particularly at this late date.

The snow cover had reduced considerably, only remaining where it had been piled up during the winter or where it is very shady. It seems to me that it has mostly gone due to rain rather than warmth. Often by this time of year, we will experience one ar two really warm days but not this year. But it has been warm enough for me to leave the car outside at night. This morning, it will get a dusting or more.

Yesterday was lovely, however: sunny, calm, and hovering around freezing.

We walked to the pond which was teeming with life. I can't recall seeing it so crowded. Not only that but numerous skeins flew overhead, honking madly all the while. Some vees were in good shape but others looked very poorly organized.

At times there was quite a bit of flapping about, but it wasn't easy to predict where and to point the camera in the right direction.


This fellow was in a feisty mood indeed.


There were a number of ducks, almost all the ubiquitous mallards, but there was a different one, which you can see under the flapping goose. There is white on its head, bill and near the rear.


Here is another photo. He or she (they?) is swimming with the mallards. I wondered if it was a mutant mallard, but someone identified it as probably an American Widgeon. Whatever its species, it seemed like it was the only one of its kind, which makes me feel a little badly. I wonder how it got mixed in with the mallards, all on its own like this.


While I concentrated on the waterfowl, Sue took some pictures of me. Here I am fiddling with the camera, likely looking at the screen to see what I had just captured. You see the yellowish patch on my hands by the lens? That's my finger tip sticking out through the glove. The glove was made that way. I can uncover my finger tip to work the controls.


And here I am hobbling along, cane on one side, camera on the other. We were about to sit on that bench in the background for awhile, facing the river with our backs to the pond.


You can see the pond behind us in this selfie.


Here is another selfie in which you can see me holding the tripod/stick. While I held the stick, Sue triggered the camera from her watch. The camera then counts down, 3-2-1 and gives us (Sue) the opportunity to get herself reset for the shot.


The tripod/stick is a gift for her birthday, which is coming up on Wednesday. I gave it to her early when we got ourselves into this daily selfie routine. If she is a good girl, just maybe there will be another little gift for her to open on the day.


11 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Poor little lone duck of whatever kind. I'm so glad you have all these gadgets to take photos with! And just look at that lens on your camera! Whoopee! Watch out ducks, geese and anything around, it's within range!

DJan said...

It looks sunny, but definitely on the cold side. Nice gaggle of water fowl. I like your selfies, keep 'em coming. :-)

Marcia said...

That green head of the mallard really jumps out of that one photo. Daughter in NH likely getting the same storm as you today.
Dan read that sitting on benches is not a good thing because the virus can live on there a long time.

gigi-hawaii said...

Nice shots of the fowl. And great selfies, too. Enjoy your life.

Shammickite said...

This self isolation thing is rather annoying to say the least. Snowing here too. And I had plans for a nice walk today. Oh well, no hurry I think I will have lots of other opportunities.
There were some unusual ducks on our pond too.... I identified them as hooded mergansers when I got home and consulted Google. Strange little ducks that looked as though they were wearing white hoods.

Marie Smith said...

The geese are back here though we haven’t seen them yet. Love 5e photos.

PipeTobacco said...

I was also chagrined at the morning’s snowfall. We had somewhere between 1-2 inches (2.5-5cm). Luckily, ours was light and fluffy.... temps moved into the low 40s (F).... so, it melted by around 4pm with the help of some rain.

It made me too nervous to run outside (fearing icy, slippery spots) so I just got back now from running at 7:30pm. :)

PipeTobacco

Joanne Noragon said...

I quite relate to your situation of a cane in one hand and...
Lovely duck pictures.

Rita said...

Poor lonely duck. Some fantastic pics you got!
Love the selfies. :)

Jenn Jilks said...

What a great gift! Happy birthday.
I tried to talk the girls into a drive to see the birds, but that didn't fly! :-)

William Kendall said...

The snow came here too. I've seen geese back now for some days.