Friday, March 13, 2020

A Trinity of Tulips

A few years ago, I purchased a macro lens with the idea that I could use it when I was stuck indoors for much of the time during winter. My macro attempts were always very so-so, and I wasn't bothered to get into it again this winter. As you well know, I do have JJ's hockey games to give me winter photo tasks, so I haven't really been lacking for photo ops.

However, I picked up a very small pot of tulips on the cheap, and since three is a nice number for photographs, I broke down and did a quick shoot. I also liked how the three were arranged with one higher and curving.

I used a folding display board, the kind that kids use for school projects, for the background. You can see that I got a bit of shadow from the flap on the right side of this photo although I don't think it presents a huge problem.


However, I did notice that little shadow problem in time for the next photo when I turned the display board around to use the cardboard side for the background. I don't mind the cardboard texture.


I would classify these photos as closeups rather than true macro photos although I was using my macro lens. To me, macros involve getting closer than this, focusing more on one flower or even just a small part of one flower. But I really like how the three blooms were configured, so that is how I chose to photograph the tulips in this case.

11 comments:

DJan said...

They are lovely. Your efforts are appreciated by me, and many others I suspect. :-)

Jenn Jilks said...

Isn't it a great hobby??!! If I could just get my cataracts done.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I really like the look of the one with the cardboard background. I love tulips and it's been years since I've been able to grow them outside since the deer moved into the neighborhood. But buying a pot or bouquet of them is very satisfying.

Barbara Rogers said...

There are photo background with fading shadows done on purpose. The gradation seems to usually be from bottom to top however. I like both of these close-ups!

MARY G said...

I like the warmer cardboard background too, but they are both keepers. I've had two bunches in the house and I took photos, but have not tried with the macro. Must do so. You are inspiring.

gigi-hawaii said...

These look like oil paintings. Beautiful.

Marie Smith said...

Photography is such a great hobby. Both are great shots, AC.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I liked seeing both of these and how nice that the tulips provided good photo opps.

Kay said...

You take such gorgeous photos! This is perfect for spring.

Joanne Noragon said...

The photo looks much like a painting.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful!