Saturday, March 28, 2020

New Ducks

Grrr . . . this is so maddening. As previously mentioned, we have been binge-watching MI5 on Britbox. Last night, it flipped us to other programs after season 5 concluded. There are 10 seasons, but they only have the first 5. And it ended on a cliff-hanger too. Sigh. My life is so hard. 😉

 After a rainy day on Thursday, we resumed our walkies yesterday. There was  pair of Hooded Mergansers in the pond. Once again, they were far away, and much cropping was required. I had never (to my recollection) seen these ducks before this year, and these are my first photo attempts. I lay no claim to being a wildlife shooter — none at all.




Our selfies of the day.

We are somewhat BRAzen to wear these masks.

Down by the Riverside

Remember the signs when the kids visited Sue on her birthday? Well, now we can read them.


I have 2 coffee machines here in my den; we make all of our coffee up here in the morning. One is a tassimo, the other brews bigger batches, up to 12 cups. We would prefer not to use the tassimo for the wasteful and unrecyclable plastic pod that results from every cup. We want to mostly use the big machine. But when I awake at 4 or 5 in the morning, I find that I want minimal fuss, so I pop a tassimo in. Once Sue awakes, I make a big pot primarily for her although I have a little of it.

The tassimo warned me that it required descaling. Sue knows how to do it; she knows where the disc is and the descaling solution as well as the instruction manual. I know none of these things. As a matter of fact and record, I confess that in this life, I know very little. As I watched the procedure, I came to the conclusion that if Sue were to ever leave me, I would just have to chuck the machine and buy a new one every time it required this complicated procedure. (Kidding . . . mostly.)

During the descaling process, it emitted a big steam. I missed the biggest one but caught a later and lesser one with my phone. (The big machine is in the background.)


Oh, here we go again. Lacey is up for her second handfeeding. It's crazy; she has a full dish just over in the next room but lives for me to feed her by hand in the morning (as well as at other times). I keep kibble by the computer and she sits there, by my chair, waiting for me to put several bits at a time on the floor. She had a feeding at 5 already. Now it is 6 o'clock (yes, morning) and she wants another. I don 't understand why this is so important to her.

Here she is at the ready. She paws and meows if I ignore her.



Finally, for your interest if you are so inclined, here is an article about the differences between Canada and the USA, particularly with regards to the battle with the virus. (Note: it is not a slag-America piece IMO.)

15 comments:

DJan said...

Thanks for the article, which I read and agree with. That bra is huge but it makes a good couple of masks. :-)

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Congratulations on the Hooded Mergansers, a truly beautiful duck and my wife's favourite. At this time of the year it is quite common in the right habitat.

Shammickite said...

There were Hooded Mergansers on my little pond too. They make a very funny growling sound, not at all what I expect to hear from a duck.
I sometimes make coffee in the French press thingy, but most mornings it's instant Nescafe for me. Yes I know I'm a philistine but I like it.

Shammickite said...

Very interesting article regarding the difference between Canada and the USA in the response to the current situation. Thank heavens that I live in Canada.

Mage said...

Thaank heavens you live in Canada.

Marie Smith said...

I’ve seen Hooded Mergansers once here, at a distance too but my photos aren’t as good.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I read the article too and I am so ashamed with how the President (UGH) of my United States is approaching this. He waited way too long to act and now he is using the daily Covid-19 press briefings as his Bully Pulpit. He talked for an hour at the last briefing and the two Dr's had just a few minutes apiece and no press questions!! before the other idiot, VP Pence ended the meeting, Trump had NO press briefings in the past year … using his horrible rallies to stir up the adoring crowd of idiots that follow him. Now, since he can't have rallies, he has taken over any chance to tell the rest of the world that (under his leadership) the U.S. is doing the most AMAZING, BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE, ETC., ETC. GARBAGE. He literally can't shut up and continues to give us wrong answers. There is no question that a large portion of the deaths in our poor country lead right back to him ! At age 87 I have been on self induced quarantine and plan to stay that way until it's over. Consider yourselves very lucky Canada. Love you ...

MARY G said...

I too know how to clean my Tassimo. If you buy Maxwell House pods, they are recyclable. It's a bit of a pain, because you have to take the coffee bag itself out with a pair of pliers, or I do, but it keeps the plastic out of the recycle.
Nice birds. You are an everything photographer.
Do not approve of your masks. Tsk. Risque. Shocked.
Yeah, right.
Sue, whose idea was that?
I am not sure I am not a robot, either.

Tabor said...

Regarding your coffee maker...so they not have small refillable cups? Some here do. You two are an inspiration to us all...blessings on you both.

Joanne Noragon said...

A brimful post. From the bottom up, nice article, tell it like it is. We're aiming for November. Miss Kitty has you trained. You could retrain her by only rewarding her some of the time. Will you do that, Grandpa Softie? And it's nice to see birds I never may.

Barbara Rogers said...

I'm so glad you are well trained in feeding your cat treats. You might try getting her to do a trick, like sit up, or run over the the corner (where you have thrown the treat)...which I never had any luck with. I do enjoy hearing about your exploits...and those masks probably would result in your catching some people's eye, but they won't protect you very well.

Kay said...

And yet 50% of Americans somehow feel Trump is doing a good job. It absolutely boggles the mind. It’s really upsetting for my husband who used to work for the Environmental Protection Agency. Apparently Trump is removing all the environmental safeguards from industry for the duration of the virus.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Those are such beautiful ducks! I've never seen them I will now read the article you linked to, though I am sure I will find it upsetting. Lovely photos of you and Sue!

William Kendall said...

Lacey has you well trained.

Rita said...

I wish I lived in Canada. I think YOU need a border wall--from us. Due to the total chaos and lack of leadership it is going to get really bad here. I totally agree with the article.

I get such a kick out of your selfies! Love seeing the wildlife, of course. Have a great week. :)