Saturday, March 21, 2020

Trying to Find a Rhythm

We are into our second week of this splendid isolation. If we don't show symptoms by next Friday, we will be out of danger for the time being. Not that we ever were in danger, or will ever be out of it for that matter, but that will make our health status semi official.

Of course, there is still a great chance that we will contract it at some time. From what I understand the odds may be anywhere from 30-70 to 50-50. At least we will have done our part to flatten the curve.

Sue came across a suggestion about how to look at this and proceed with it. To wit: when it comes to interacting with others, act as if you already had the virus.

Meanwhile, I am trying to find a bit of a rhythm to my days. We have been out for a stroll for three consecutive days now. There are very few people out; it is about as safe as possible.

For two of those three days, I have also remembered to do a little bit of exercise following a YT program. It is very mild senior stuff, but it is something.

I can't do any vigorous exercise as I am in line for foot/ankle fusion surgery. I have passed (or perhaps failed is the correct word) the first diagnostic phase. Phase 2 will be a meeting with the surgeon. Step 3 will be the procedure itself.

So our walks are more of a hobble. I have even taken to using a cane. I guess it takes a little strain off the bad foot and also gives me a somewhat better sense of balance.

But I feel and look more like 92 than 72 when I hobble about.

This all stems from a bad ankle sprain about 35 years ago. I managed well enough for 25 years, but 10 years ago, the pain became noticeable, and we discovered that I am missing cartilage and have a bone-on-bone situation.

The queue for the surgery is lengthy. There is a significant wait to see the surgeon, which will be followed by another wait wait before the actual surgery, assuming that he agrees with this course of action. And I am sure that the Corona outbreak will lengthen the waiting time into next year.

But I can get around, even if it hurts my pride a bit to hobble about with a cane. Scratch that: it really doesn't bother me in that sense, and I am grateful to whatever support the came gives me.

That digression wasn't exactly planned, and then took longer to describe than what I thought.

This was our daily selfie on what began as a rainy and overcast day. but it did get quite warm. Depending on whom you believe, the temperature skyrocketed to 10C/50F or more — almost tropical.

So we donned rain gear and bumpershoots. Don't blame me for the staging; Sue is in charge of the shoot, and I fall in line like a good husband.


We walked to the pond, but even the geese were displeased with the weather. There was a pair of distant mallards, but I can't see them in this picture.


15 comments:

Mara said...

I think I see some waterbirds in the top right of the watery bit.

For the past two weeks I have kept mainly to the house. I am getting thoroughly fed up with it though and am now shredding! Paper that is. Not myself.

DJan said...

I haven't found my new normal yet. Today I think I'll walk to town (about three miles) just for the steps and exercise. Soon I'll be able to start working in my garden, but I'm fighting lassitude that comes from all this stress eating.

Barbara Rogers said...

Great selfie. I can't imagine how you walk with an umbrella and a cane. I'd probably knock myself on the head with one or the other. Glad to hear you're getting out and about. Not glad you've got Dr.s to wait upon. Hope you all stay well.

Shammickite said...

I've been at home now since last Friday and looks like I shall be here for a lot longer. I have food for a while but will definitely need some more in a few days. I've been exercising via the sessions on line, and have gone for some walks around the neighbourhood. Cant wait for some warmer weather!!!! Its cold today.
Yesterday everyone on my street went to the end of our driveways at 7:30pm, made lots of noise banging pots etc, and sang O Canada at the tops of our voices!

Marcia said...

I'm confused. How is staying in isolation for 2 weeks going to flatten the curve. Don't you need to stay in and away from others indefinitely? You need to avoid getting this any time soon so as not to overload the hospitals.

Sorry to hear about your ankle. Would one of those scooters with a place to rest your leg bent work for you in the interim?

Jenn Jilks said...

We're happy with the weekend off!
JB is doing his exercises for his bad shoulder. He's using Dr. Ho.
I wish it were a bit warmer out!

I bet your get your surgery before I get my cataracts done. It is so frustrating.

Marie Smith said...

The cane will help over these months waiting for surgery for sure. The cue for such surgery is long here as well.

Red said...

We're all in this apart stuff together! Keep well.

Joanne Noragon said...

You two are too cute, your daily selfies!

Kay said...

I'm glad you're both able to get some exercise. I'll have to do something soon since we don't have tai-chi or zumba now. I'm loving your selfie too.

Mage said...

I'm so enjoying these wonderful selfies.

Mage said...

My new normal is falling, getting pulled up, and eating bad foods. You two look splendid.

Vicki Lane said...

My walks tend to be hobbles, assisted by a walking stick. Our uneven ground is tricky for me. Still, it's good to get out.

PipeTobacco said...

I am sorry about your ankle! I hope the cane helps enough that there is no pain.

PipeTobacco

Rita said...

Love the selfies! You certainly have a beautiful area to walk. Glad you are staying isolated. Be safe! :)