Tuesday, March 17, 2020

A Bizarre Thing

Well, I certainly didn't expect that! Not on any day but certainly not on the first Monday of self-isolating, I received an email from Mastercard. It had just been used to make a $50 purchase at a local clothing store. But we hadn't been out and hadn't been to the store for at least a month.

I had trouble connecting with the MC company for a little while, so we called the store. They had no record of any transaction either in-store or online. Monday is a slow day in a town, and they had only three transactions in total that morning, and our card wasn't one of them.

When I did get through to MC, they said that my number had been keyed in, but no one at the store knew anything about it.

Right now the transaction is just pending, so MC can't do anything about it until it is actually posted. I don't understand this, but it is what it is. They have flagged my account and given me a special number to call back when we see that it is posted.

It is all very confusing. If someone has hacked my card number why have they chosen to make or fake a purchase for a limited amount at a small clothing store?

I suppose it is a good thing that I have opted to receive an email for my MC transactions. It helped me to respond quickly, even though the financial company hasn't necessarily been able to respond in like manner.

We shall see what happens.

========================

I can't help myself. After days and days of COVID-19 updates which include restricting gatherings to fewer than 10 people and also keeping a distance of 1 metre, I see this photo of Mr President and his 15 cronies colleagues jammed together on the stage. It seems that these great leaders are not yet familiar with the concept of social distancing. Good grief. And just why does he need such a large posse anyway?


=======================

Here's a better photo. The second day of isolation selfies to the family. And you too.



12 comments:

DJan said...

I wondered that, too, when I saw the press conference. Social distancing? Guess they all think they're immune. I like your coffee cup. :-)

Barbara Rogers said...

Well, that sucketh, your MC being misused in some strange cyber-space way. Not to mention the waiting times on the phone. I called my pulmonologist office yesterday to cancel my appointment and hopefully reschedule, left several messages, never got to talk to a real person...but I didn't want to sit in a waiting room with sick people for a semi-annual checkup.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Hope this gets fixed soonest....Perhaps they will issue you a new card.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Lovely photo of you and Sue.

gigi-hawaii said...

I like your wife's hairstyle very much.

Jenn Jilks said...

Well done!
Yes, that US press conference was ridiculous!

Sorry about the MC.I had my card # stolen and it is such a pain-in-the-ass.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The reason for that smallish charge on your MC may be because the person was testing to see if it was a good number. I've heard of similar instances where a very small charge will be made to test the number. Hopefully your misuse will be sorted out, and you will most likely be assigned a new card number. Nice selfie of you and Sue in self-isolation and we're doing the same. I just heard that Canada has closed its borders.

William Kendall said...

Odd.

As for that repugnant excuse for a human being, he disgusts me.

Marie Smith said...

There is always someone trying to rip you off but that is a new one to me, AC. Let us know what happens?

Red said...

" Bizarre " things like that are unnerving.it's the not knowing that hangs over you and you just feel violated.

Joanne Noragon said...

Let us know how the card problem is resolved. And what the hell are you holding?

Rita said...

I've heard that they make a small purchase to test out the card, too. Then they hit it big time if they get away with it, so it's a good thing you spotted it right away!!

You two look wonderful! :)