Monday, March 30, 2020

Monday in the Rain

When I looked out the front window yesterday, the only remaining patch of snow that I could see was on our lawn. When I thought about it, it does make some sense, at least to explain why the houses across the street are snow-free. You see, they get more afternoon sun while our roof lays shade on our lawn. (The phone focussed on the screen, but you can still see the patch of snow.)


We have had a lot more snow for a lot longer than this in some years to the point where we have shovelled it back onto the road on warm April days. It hasn't been warm this spring, but rain has done a good job. The forecast is for perhaps 3 days of rain. If that does happen, I would expect that should just about melt the rest of it. (Update: a day later, Monday, it is still there but a small somewhat reduced in size.)

The reason why we have shovelled it off the lawn in the past is that one year, we actually had tulips push their way up under the snow.  We were only aware of their growth once we shovelled the top portion of snow away. So now, if need be, we try to preempt that.

It was a day at home, so we just have the one selfie to share. Having reached the end of fb's offerings, Sue switched to that snappy chatty place for a new look.


When we rest for a few minutes on the bench by the river, we look across to a mess of branches. I wonder if we'll still be sitting on the bench in splendid isolation when it turns green over yonder?


Someone posted this on their blog (Kay?). When I saw that it was 35 minutes, I was going to pass it by. But then I clicked and watched it. It is a very complete explanation of what the virus is, how it works, and what the immediate impact might be. I think it was worth 35 minutes of my time.


Apparently, on Saturday, Canada had 5 COVID-19 deaths. The USA had 515 when it should have been less than 50 if they were matching our rates. This so sad. Planning and leadership would have helped a lot.

11 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Quite funny selfies of you and Sue in this post and loved the pink head tops on both you and Sue. It's been a dreary and rainy 2 days here in Nashua, NH. I will watch that video later today. BTW, we watched the new Miss Fisher movie and concur with your review of "meh."

Marcia said...

Glad you watched that video. I did post it and Kay watched it and posted it again. Good to get the word out to many to help understand what this virus does to one.

We had rain yesterday but sun is out today. Trees are showing hint of green.

Tabor said...

There is some very good info on the virus out there. My concern was a German study that said those who had contracted the virus and survived might be contagious for as long as 37 days!!! Glad your spring is now on its way. Our days here are warmer.

Marie Smith said...

We have a hundred times the amount of snow you have on your lawn. Unless it warms up a lot, ours will be there u til June.

Christina said...

Your selfies made me giggle!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

That video is very worth listening to. I am in so many risk categories...But since I have sleep apnea I do have my CPAP machine and an oxygen concentrator. But I hope I won't need them for more than sleeping....

DJan said...

I watched it and forwarded in to some family members. I haven't been willing to really absorb the implications of what's ahead.

Shammickite said...

I agree with your last sentence. The poor old USA has no planning and leadership whatsoever.

Joanne Noragon said...

The photo through the screen is like a needlepoint pattern. And yes, that was an excellent video.

Jenn Jilks said...

I love the selfies.
I hear you about the bulbs. I did that one year, but it was raking leaves. The poor bulbs. There is so much rain.
It's been awful around here with COVID–19, but at least we have some competence in our government. It's so shocking, all of it. The stuff people are saying is crazy. Rumours, myths, and people are dying. A pastor was charged with having a church service. What is her thinking?

Rita said...

Now that was a real video! He explained what would happen if you get it bad and what will happen in the country--bluntly. More people who aren't listening should see this. Thanks!