Thursday, March 05, 2020

No Swans This Time

On Sunday I trudged through the snow to get another photo of the Tundra swans. They were closer than last time, which pleased me.

Except they weren't.

For when I got close to them, something seemed wrong.

Sure enough, when I looked through my viewfinder using my telephoto lens, I saw that it was just a bit of swan-sized ice. I probably should have taken a picture of that, just for the record, but I didn't.

There were swans, but they were farther away, and I would have trouble getting to a good spot to photograph them. Besides that, I was a bit pressed for time, so that was that.

I went back on Monday morning to a more accessible spot where the swans have often been seen. Alas! There was nary a bird in sight.

This might have put me in a fowl mood, so to speak, but I made the best of it and took a few photos looking across to the other side of the river. There was still some snow on the trees from last weeks sticky snowfall, which I thought looked quite pretty.

But first, I was attracted to the patch of water that looked blue. For the most part the water was dull due to generally overcast skies, so this patch stood out. By including the bench and tree I felt that I also had some good foreground interest which anchored the photo. Besides, who doesn't love a bench?

Picking up a thread from a previous post, we are able, once again, to see the transition between the frozen and unfrozen parts of the river. If we could see that far, we would see that the water would be frozen for many a mile to the left beyond this view.


The view across the river: two photos from the same spot, once a little more zoomed in than the other. I prefer the second, less zoomed, photo.



I thought that I was done and was walking back toward the car when the near curve in the ice shelf drew my attention. I thought that it would make an interesting foreground and even a bit of a leading line. The reflection of the fallen limb is also a good element in my opinion. I also made a bw version, but I like the colour better, I think.



I was in the nick of time as it turned out, for it soon began to rain. That would wash the snow off the trees and make those woods a very dull gray mass. Unless, we get more sticky snow, it won't be a pretty for quite awhile until new life begins to burst forth over there. I look forward to seeing the soft green as the buds begin to break forth.

14 comments:

DJan said...

Nice pictures, AC. I especially like the last one for some reason. :-)

Barbara Rogers said...

Those last two are great...at least from this artist's point of view, great composition, diagonals that meet and blend gracefully.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

This post and its lovely photos made me consider whether being a photographer and looking for (especially) natural beauty has made you see more than you would have otherwise. Oh, I am sure you would have been aware of the world, but would you have looked at it as often and as intently? What do you think?

Marcia said...

I like the last color one best. The blue is what makes that photo.

Tabor said...

I like them all, but the closer ones are more dramatic. I like your slow approach to getting your photos. That is what many advise. You should rame the photo and the see what attracts your eye and try several different shots.

Anvilcloud said...

ThicketHouse I think you’re onto something. This might make for another blog post. :)

Marie Smith said...

Despite the fowl mood, you took great photos, AC.

MARY G said...

Bench shot with blue is a classic, and I like the last one as well. The others are, for my taste, too busy. But that is my thing - not for everyone.

gigi-hawaii said...

I like that blue water, because blue is my favorite color. I always think that blue and white make a very nice color combination. Very serene.

Jenn Jilks said...

It's going to get more ucky before it gets pretty!

Rita said...

I like the first one and last one the best, but they are all nice pics. Too bad you missed the swans. They'll be back another time, I imagine. :) So pretty there!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Those swans are moving north and won't be around for long.

Kay said...

They're all so beautiful. It made me feel the cold air and awe of the scenery.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful shots!