Saturday, March 14, 2020

Cancelled

Jonathan was to play in a year-end tournament this weekend. Alas, as far as I know, hockey has been cancelled nationwide. Every hockey league that I know of has done this, including the pros.

The question becomes, "If hockey is shut down, does Canada still exist?"

As far as I know, getting tested is not a problem in this country, and I see that our nearest big city hospital has drive-in testing for those who have been prescribed the test.

Our Prime Minister's wife, Sophie, has tested positive and has quarantined herself. Mr Trudeau has done the same, as far as I understand.

On Thursday evening, we learned that school has been suspended until April at the earliest. Yesterday (Friday), the day before March Break, was the last day of classes until April (or longer, I suspect). I will have to ask the kids how well attended the day was, assuming that they chose to go. I imagine the schools were kept open for one final day to give everyone concerned a chance to make preparations for child care. Meanwhile, Danica is somewhat distraught at the grim prospect of not seeing many of her friends until April.

Aside from containment procedures, our area has so far experienced little if any impact from the virus itself. We are a fairly rural region after all. When Sue and I opted to keep our standing coffee date with friends on Thursday, the cafe appeared to have the usual number of customers.

However, our daughter, Shauna, had to do grocery shopping on Thursday afternoon after work and reported that the store was crazy busy.

Having booked the hotel rooms for the tournament, Dad was still planning to take the kids to enjoy the facilities. Unfortunately that got cancelled too as the pool among other things I supposed would be closed. There is little point in travelling to just sit in a hotel room.

Meanwhile, Sue has just sent me this video of a grocery store on the outskirts of Toronto on Thursday. My mouth was agape watching this. Sorry I can't seem to embed it properly, but the link is worth a click in my opinion.

https://www.facebook.com/100011459095333/videos/1179616375763654/

And the lineup outside a California Costco, and I have since seen an incredible scene at a grocery store in The Netherlands that showed absolutely no concern for social distancing.

https://www.facebook.com/ABCNews/videos/194347531827310/

Two final inclusions to make your day, I hope.


And to celebrate the virus with style and good taste . . .



It is hard to keep up.Here are the numbers for Canada's two most populated provinces as of noon yesterday (Friday, March 13).
Ontario: 5129 total tests, 74 confirmed cases.
Quebec: 1081 total tests, 17 confirmed cases.

16 comments:

MARY G said...

I think the earrings are hilarious.
It is hard to know whether or not the shutdown is necessary or overreaction. The panic buying is certainly overreaction. We took an inventory two weeks ago and I picked up some extras on my last three shopping trips. We are good for almost a month, except for fresh fruit and vegetables.
Sad about the boy's tournament, but that is not a surprising shutdown. What does annoy me is the library closings. What are parents supposed to do with their children with no books available? Will you be amusing the grandkids? I suspect you will be.

The Liberty Belle said...

My San Francisco travel plans have been cancelled. It's very disappointing. Items such as bleach and toilet paper are being limited at markets. May all keep safe and healthy.

Barbara Rogers said...

Thanks for accurate news, and amusing also. I don't ever hear anything here on our news about Canada. We're still behind in NC as of this count...probably because of lack of testing available. Be well, enjoy playing cards of whatever!

Marcia said...

Cases here in all the surrounding counties but not in ours that we know of.

Just sent an email to the verb rental in Wyoming that we need to cancel our June week there at Grand Tetons. Canceled rental car but have not canceled United flights yet. Their policy isn't very favorable yet for us. I will wait to see if they change their terms or even cancel our flights. Very disappointing all around to feel boxed in this way.

Red said...

Covid-19 a scary virus. We don't know what it's going to do.

Jenn Jilks said...

I saw the earrings! A hoot.

Yes, a big disappointment for our kids. No Thailand and New Zealand for them in April.
We're going to be happy to have slaves Mon. => Friday for the next 3 weeks!

Jenn Jilks said...

P.S. I think it's time for online grocery shopping! Sha would like it, I think. She could book it to pick up after work. I was really happy with the service. My daughter is doing it tomorrow.

DJan said...

I feel like our lives have come to a juncture that looks very different than I would ever have thought. Social distancing is making everyone cautious, and rightly so. I love those earrings and wish I could find some like them, but I'm not doing any extra shopping for the moment. All my regular routines are cancelled, including my beloved yoga classes. :-(

gigi-hawaii said...

It's hard to find toilet paper here in Hawaii, because it's sold out in seconds. Hubby has ordered it online, so that's one way to get it.

Joanne Noragon said...

Your videos are outstanding. Thanks.

PipeTobacco said...

The major reason for all the shutdowns is to try to SLOW the spread of the infection. It is going to be most everywhere. But..... if we slow it enough, we will maintain adequate hospital facility space to treat the unfortunate percentage of folks who are at strong risk for NEEDING hospitalized care to survive. Fortunately, most people will not need hospitalization.... but for those that do, we want the spread to be slow enough that everyone who needs the hospital’s facilities will be able to be there. IF we can do this, the mortality rate from this infectious agent will be a small percentage of people. If it happens all at once, that is the most dangerous situation where there will not be enough hospital spaces for all the people who need them to get that level of treatment.

So, hopefully people will heed the closures we’ll and we CAN slow the rate of spread.

PipeTobacco

PipeTobacco said...

Also, the Walmart comment was very funny! As was also the earrings image!

PipeTobacco

Rita said...

The earrings made me laugh! Closings and suspensions popping up everywhere in the states, too, of course. Hopefully it will slow the virus down enough that everybody who needs care can get it.

Marie Smith said...

Two testing centres here, one confirmed case, someone returned from a cruise ship. I was never fussy about cruises but the cruise ship debacle with this virus turns me from it entirely!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Hilarious earrings! The shutdowns are necessary, I think, to slow down the spread of this very contagious virus so that more tests become available and medical facilities are not overwhelmed as they are in Italy. Stay safe and keep well...

William Kendall said...

I think a lot of people out there are being hysterical, instead of approaching this from a calm and level headed perspective. That's a problem.