Wednesday, March 25, 2020

My First Grocery Pickup

I drove to the grocery store because my phone-in order was ready after they sent an email that the order was ready. When I got into the parking lot, I called to let them know that I was there. They came to the car within 10-15 minutes and loaded the groceries.

We have started the next order because it takes a long time now, a week and a half at this point. Wow!

I put a couple of items on the app just to book that time, and I can update the list up until the last day.

Here's what I saw while I was waiting. I was impressed, and if I had to actually shop inside, I would be pretty confident. However, I would still prefer to remain isolated for the next two weeks anyway.

Here is what I observed.

There were about 6 people waiting to get into the store as the store will only accept 90 shoppers at a time. There were orange lines painted 2 metres apart to help people keep their distance.

There was a store employee standing farther back to instruct anyone about the line and to keep distance should someone not know what to do.

The first person in line, nearest the door, was able to disinfect themselves and their cart and put on gloves.

As one person would leave the store, the first person in line would enter. It was very orderly and looked to be as safe as they could make it.

I should have taken a picture of the above, but I was a little anxious about how this first pickup would go and was watching for the delivery person and didn't really think to get out the phone.

Here's what goes on inside from what I have heard and read but haven't witnessed.

They disinfect the store at night and, I am sure, regularly. The line to the cashier is also well marked for physical distancing, No one puts their items on the belt until the other person is through the process. The cashier then wipes the surface before the next customers proceeds. Grocery stores are installing plexiglass barriers between the customers and cashiers, but I don't know whether this has come to our store yet.


11 comments:

Kay said...

Wow! I'm so impressed! That is so much better than what we have going on here.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

That does sound very orderly. We went shopping this morning and found no lines and no crowds. Some items were wiped out, thankfully none we were planning to buy. The grocery store does have plexiglass shields in place at the register and tape markings on the floor to distance customers. Also counters were wiped down between customers. I was in anotherf store where an announcement asked people to pay for their purchases with credit card vs. cash.

Marie Smith said...

It wasn’t as impressive here when I was at the store last. I hope they have improved things to what you experienced AC.

Barbara Rogers said...

When wearing my mask last Sat. in the grocery store, I was given preferential treatment. Everyone must have assumed I was sick, rather than that I didn't want my chronic cough to scare them.

Mara said...

Over here only one person is allowed in. So, if I were to go with my mum, one of us has to stay outside. And even if you need only one item: a cart has to be used, to make sure that you have distance.
My parents went yesterday and only my mum was allowed in. She said it was no fun going shopping anymore.

Shammickite said...

Only a week and a half? You are lucky! I ordered groceries on March 22 and I can pick up on April 8!!!!
Nice to know that the stores are taking so many precautions, I heard that it is the same here but I haven't actually seen for myself.

DJan said...

The plexiglass shields and marks on the floor for distancing is present in our stores, too. Still, some people figure these restrictions don't apply to them. Sigh.

Jenn Jilks said...

It's so complicated. My fear is we'll lower these precautions too soon.
These are the same protocols here at our big grocery store. Store owners have really stepped up.

Rita said...

Their precautions are great! I think I'd still rather drive up and get delivery, though.

William Kendall said...

There are similar proceedings here too.

ANDRAINO ADAMS said...

Good articles, Have you heard of LFDS (Le_Meridian Funding Service, Email: lfdsloans@outlook.com --WhatsApp Contact:+1-9893943740--lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com) is as USA/UK funding service they grant me loan of $95,000.00 to launch my business and I have been paying them annually for two years now and I still have 2 years left although I enjoy working with them because they are genuine Loan lender who can give you any kind of loan.