Sunday, March 22, 2020

A Very Cold Day

Sue intensely dislikes grocery shopping, so I do it. I am actually fine with it. I have time on my hands, so I wander the aisles at my petty pace.

Our store of choice has offered pickup shopping for awhile now. WMart also does it, but I try to avoid that store because I just find it to be a sterile, soul-sucking place. So I shop at Your Independent Grocer, and their name for this service is PC Express. You make out your order online, and they shop it for you and even bring it to the car.

Of course, not being averse to shopping, I haven't used the service, but times change and needs must, if you will permit me to go into full cliché mode. Utilizing pickup just seems like another timely isolating step to take at this point in time.

But I guess everybody is thinking that way, and so it will be 4 days between dropping the order and picking it up. I have been assured that this is not the typical case — until just recently, that is.

It is a relatively small order, more for trial purposes. We will probably still need help from daughter until we get into a routine.

Someone in our community set up a fb group to assist one another in these trying times and that's where I posed my questions about how the service works. I had the answers within a half hour. This is unlike the company's phone line which was overburdened.

Before resorting to this pickup method, I had been planning on using the senior hour from 8-9 and asking my questions to a staff member. But when I heard that younger folks were crashing the scene, I decided not to join the circus for the time being. Also, since then, the store has reduced the number of customers they allow in at one time, and I don't fancy waiting outside in line at this time.

=======================

Time for our daily isolation selfie: A Toast to the Morning


The morning began with sunshine, so I went out early to see the geese and get some light on the subject for a change. But oh brother sister was it cold!

While I can survive -10C/14F quite well, but with a brisk wind to boot, the photo fingers get quite cold and even a bit numb.

I say geese, but it was the ducks who starred that morning. One performed a little ballet for me.


I like it if I can get some reeds in the foreground. I tried to get the foreground duck swimming between  two prominent reeds.


I did that goosing and ducking on a very cold morning, but it was still cold and excessively windy for our afternoon outing.

We drove to Riverside Park and took a wee walk into Roy Brown Park where there is a fenced dog run. You maybe able to glimpse the fence way behind Sue. Does she look a tad chilly?


Sue took one of me and my silly cane.


Much of our snow and ice has gone, but there remains an ice shelf on the shady side of the river.


We then sat in the warmth of the car while a a goose foraged in the temporary pond near the river's edge. I photographed it, but at maximum zoom and through the windshield, the photos isn't sharp. This was an odd goose with 4 legs and 2 bums.


We brought our own coffee and cookies. It wasn't the same as stopping at the drive through, but we continue to do our bit a avoid as much contact as possible. This was our second selfie yesterday.


12 comments:

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Good morning to Mickey and Minnie Mouse. You wrote so much and showed us so many great pictures that I don't know what to comment on. I will solve that by just saying that I am in complete isolation here in North Carolina.(in compliance with the wishes of my 3 children) and completing tasks that I have left undone for years. Please stay safe and keep on blogging.

DJan said...

Thanks for letting me come into your lovely area, and tell Sue she needs a good hat! It sure does look cold. Brrr! :-)

gigi-hawaii said...

Again, what a beautiful wife you have! Love her hair style. We are going to try the curbside pick up at the market tomorrow. First time for us and we hope it all goes well.

Barbara Rogers said...

Great collection of photos...cool ducks, geese, and 2 selfies. My congrats to you both for venturing out in chill! Keeping safe is the watchword for now.

PipeTobacco said...

I hope the trial on-line shopping goes well. Let us know. We are looking into it as well.

PipeTobacco

A Cuban In London said...

I hope you guys are doing well. :-)

Greetings from London.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I have been enjoying the selfies, John and Sue, even though the part of the reason is self-isolation. They are fun to see and add some cheer to the doom and gloom news reports, which I limit to am daily. Yikes you do have winter still and we are forecast to get snow Monday night, so I shouldn't talk. We have been making small grocery walks as there is a major supermarket within walking distance. There are senior hours at all 3 major supermarkets but only in early hours and certain days. You would think they could have a uniform schedule so us seniors wouldn't have to remember! Looks like you are staying well, social distancing and making us smile. Good job all around. Cheers

Joanne Noragon said...

Well done day!

Marie Smith said...

The dancing duck is a great shot!

The geese are back here now. We still have lots of snow though.

Tabor said...

WE got a bit of your cold winds a few days ago. Impossible to reamin outside for very long. so bitter. But sring is back today and it will soon return up your way!

Rita said...

I'm enjoying your "isolation" posts and your selfies! Have a wonderful week. :)

Christina said...

Sue does look cold on that photo! I hope she warmed up quickly once back in the car. I can't stand grocery shopping (any shopping if I can be honest) but my husband doesn't mind so much. My mum says that shops are getting on top of the demand where she is (Switzerland) and there is less stockpiling. Maybe there is hope for us. Online orders have a two week waiting list in our favourite shop.... Love your selfies!