Tuesday, March 10, 2020

The Photographer's Brain

Jennifer says she is always looking up. She’s the curator of our museum, and the history of the town interests her. She finds some of our history enshrined at the top of downtown buildings. While buildings may be modified greatly closer to street level, the frontages near the top may very well reflect the original structure and, therefore, history. Sometimes, even the dates are inscribed.

Then there's Sue: when we walk together, she tends to look all around. She sees much. At night time as we stroll along, she might gaze into windows as we pass by and see wallpaper or a light fixture. She will likely just wonder about life in that house. And when we watch tv together, she sees the whole screen. For example: she might notice the earrings that the person in the background is wearing.

Meanwhile, being an introvert, when I walk, my natural tendency is to be absorbed in my own thoughts. Most likely my head will be down while I see almost nothing around me. When I watch tv, I lock on the face and eyes of the main subject(s) and more often than not miss the background or at least am only minimally aware of all that is contained therein. I wouldn't likely even notice the earrings on the main character who is front and centre, nevermind those on the lady in the background..

I am not proud of being this way, but it is what it is or is what I am.

But when I was asked a question in response to a recent post, the answer was easy.
This post and its lovely photos made me consider whether being a photographer and looking for (especially) natural beauty has made you see more than you would have otherwise. Oh, I am sure you would have been aware of the world, but would you have looked at it as often and as intently? What do you think?
The answer is an emphatic yes; I do, much more frequently, look at the world more intently than I might have in the past. Whether driving or walking, and with my camera or without, I often find myself seeing possible photos in my head. Mind you, this can drive me nuts, especially while motoring because there is, more often than not, no way to pull over and take a shot.

Obviously, there is still the natural tendency to lose myself within my own brain, but I also tend to have my head up more. Yes, I look about me more often and more deeply these days.

7 comments:

DJan said...

Interesting. I too notice myself often framing photos mentally while hiking along, but mostly I don't take the shot because I'm busy trying ro keep up. :-)

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It is interesting how people see the same scene differently. A friend of mine spent an entire lifetime in the insurance industry, and he always used to say that in the event of a road accident it was always best to have one witness only. Once you had more than one there were different versions of the same event.

Jenn Jilks said...

It's interesting. When I have my camera, I find I look about more.

gigi-hawaii said...

I am always thinking in terms of my blog. And photographs taken with my own camera will usually end up on my blog. Without the blog, I would not care too much about taking photos. Lol

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

This answer is so interesting. I am also an introvert, but just over the line on Meyers Briggs tests. I can be very unobservant unless I am consciously trying to be aware which doesn't happen often enough!

Marie Smith said...

I think I always focussed on the details and photography was a natural fit. It certainly expands one’s life.

William Kendall said...

I'm an introvert, generally, but do keep mindful of photographic opportunities.