Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Self-Isolation Progress Report

As we settle deeper into self-isolation, we find that people are being as nice and helpful as possible.

On Sunday, Shauna did a decent-sized grocery shopping for us. Yesterday, the new partner of Shauna's Ex, contacted us. She was heading to Costco and offered to pick up anything that we might need. After what Sha picked up, we didn't need much but suggested that we could use apples and cereal.

She left it in the porch for us, and we will send an e-transfer back to her.

And she brought us Shamrock Shakes as an extra treat..



Shauna and her Ex have worked hard to keep good relations, and we all get along.

We have also received notice that our grocery store will open just for seniors every day from 8-9 in the morning. Likewise our pharmacy.

While I would still have to go out, contact should be minimal and everything should be well wiped and cleaned right after the store opens.

We have also signed up for free delivery of the groceries to the car. This will come in handy if we also subscribe to the express service where they will do the shopping for us. While we haven't looked into that yet, it could become an option.

The same program will mean that the pharmacy part of this subscription will deliver free to the house items that we purchase online, but I will also have to look into that more.

Two of the local pizza places in town have shut down walk-in trade but will accept online or phone orders as long as you pay electronically. They will then deliver to the door but leave the order on the steps or in the porch or whatever. (As you will read below, all eateries were closed to walk-in custom, soon after I wrote this bit. It is a very fluid situation.)

So much has changed so quickly.

Last Thursday, we felt comfortable meeting friends for our standard coffee date. A day later we were heading into self-isolation.
BTW, style guides do suggest that when we use "self" with another word, as I just did, that we should use a hyphen. I assume that, like me, everybody in the world would appreciate this vital information.
The premier of Ontario has declared a state of emergency, which pretty well means that we are doing what everybody else is doing and closing bars, restaurants etc. I am not sure what else at this point.

Finally, I present our St Patrick's Day isolation selfie. My hat is from Ireland and I am holding it in my hand so I can point to the single green patch. This is our third isolation selfie. So far, I am showing them to you a day late because I do tend to schedule my blog posts.



Take care everybody. Stay safe. Keep posting.

5 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

So far I haven't had any great difficulty shopping and the crowds have not been excessive. I picked up wine at the Liquor Store yesterday and the shelves were half empty. Gotta stock up on the essentials!

DJan said...

I just looked at the website for our local grocery store, and it's offering senior hours every Tuesday and Thursday 7-9, Thanks for the info! :-)

Barbara Rogers said...

Everybody is concerned and helping each other, except the sun worshipers in FL. I'll share the pictures on my blog if I can grab them from ABC or whoever. Clearwater Beach is mobbed. The governor of FL is not closing beaches. Argh! (I have lots of family in FL, but not young sun worshipers at least. )I like your green noses, but what are those fluffy things on top of your heads? Soft horns?

Joanne Noragon said...

So many stores are offering special hours for we old 'uns, and I think that is wonderful. But I'd hate to be up early enough to shop between eight and nine.

Vicki Lane said...

How nice that people are stepping up!