Friday, January 31, 2020

Yon Bonny Snow Banks

Being a coward at heart, I have been reluctant to go out with the camera this winter. In truth, when it is best for shooting such as after a crisp, white snowfall, the timing hasn't been propitious. Mostly though, the weather (to put it in the common vernacular) has sucked. We've had rainy days, cold days, overcast days, icy days, and blustery days. These are not the conditions that appeal to an old fart (to once again put it in the common vernacular).

You may have noticed that I am feeling uncommonly common with my vernacular this morning. lol

However, just yesterday morning, I noticed some fairly nice light on the snowbanks way beyond our bedroom window. So, I sacrificed my decrepit body by trundling all of the way downstairs for my camera. I further sacrificed by changing the lens to my longest, one that zooms to 400mm. I did this mostly for you, you understand. (Or should I write you'se in keeping with the common vernacular?)

Back up to the bedroom went I, opened said window, zoomed fully, and took a few shots. Even at 400mm, I had to crop to eliminate extraneous and non-photogenic detail because the scene was at quite a distance.

These are the resulting images. It is not exactly wall-hanging material, but it is something. The snowbanks, by the way, are from the plowing of adjacent parking lots.



We have no or little snow forecast for about the next week, but maybe I'll be able to haul the enfeebled and rickety old bod out sometime before the season is done. After all, there are about 6 months of winter left — not really, of course, but it will seem that long. I don't mind winter, but it does tend to wear out its welcome.

13 comments:

DJan said...

I agree that sometimes winter seems to be the longest season, while spring is the shortest. Thanks for hauling your camera around long enough to get a few shots of your snow. :-)

David M. Gascoigne, said...

The shots are very appealing, and the only way to deal with winter is to get out and deal with it on its own terms. There are owls waiting to be found, Snow Buntings to see, geese sliding on the ice...the list goes on.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I like these! I think it is the shadows that make them so interesting. Ah, winter. Yes. It isn't that bad this year, for the most part, but I've been ready for it to be over for quite some time already.

Jenn Jilks said...

You are clever and creative!

Marie Smith said...

It’s a long few months yet,AC. Winter feels endless.you are so right.

MARY G said...

I phoned two long distance friends today, one in Fort Erie and one in Windsor. Both reported grass, no snow. Both wished for snow, because the dead grass and mud was so dreary.
Pity we can't send them some ... these are right pretty shots.

PipeTobacco said...

I agree about the lack of desire to head outside much so far this winter (I feel similarly.). But the images you post are attractive..... perhaps the framing is not what you hoped for.... but the light captures is beautiful! And I like your more specialized “verbiage ” too.

PipeTobacco

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I think these are super captures, and thanks so much for sharing! Have a great weekend.

Red said...

My excuse for not getting out doors is that it's too hard on the camera!

Joanne Noragon said...

All my winter scene shots have been through the window. Well, a couple on the deck.

Mara said...

Come to the Netherlands: the crocusses are up already!

Love your photo of the snowbanks though. Makes me want to grab a sled and go careering down them...

Vicki Lane said...

Beautiful light! Thank you for making the effort!

William Kendall said...

Beautiful shots!

Oh, I love the winter.