Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Suddenly Winter and Blue Monday

It has been a relatively tame winter for the most part hereabouts, but things have changed in the past week or so. Last week, we had two dumpings and it also got colder with daytime temperatures often being ~10°C and nighttime closer to -20°C.

I had meant to go out to some prettier spots to get some winter/snow pics, but life gets in the way. Of course, sometimes, life is just simple cowardice and the disinclination to face the cold. Alas, I am a pathetic creature.

What I did do, just for y'all, y'understand, is to pop my head out the door long enough to grab a few quick snaps. I do this as a service to you, so y'all can feel better about yourselves in your environment. You are welcome.

Looking back to ours from the street.


The fire hydrant across the street.


Up the street.


This was on Blue Monday, January 20, supposedly, the most depressing day of the year. I don't know about that, but in the morning I had to trek to an out-of-town hospital to undergo certain probes which I shan't describe. And Shauna said that things were weird at work. Then, the referees didn't show up for JJ's hockey game.

The game was held in an arena with stupidly uncomfortable seats, so I chose not to use them and watched, while standing at rinkside. But that meant that I was away from the pathetically poor heaters that were over the stands. Who but Canadians who choose to spend part of an evening in an ice house on a very cold day?

And I didn't bother to take my camera because I wasn't feeling it. Nope, all I felt was discomfort and cold while I watched the team lose another game. They remain winless in league play. The other team scored on two breakaways, which Jonathan would have had a good chance of preventing had he been playing defence because he is very conscientious about covering his zone, Alas and alack, he was playing forward last night.

So yeah, I guess it was kinda like Blue. Eh?

11 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

Aw. We spent the day in tears. Having to rehome Annabelle. JB is still coughing (since mid-Nov.)

I hope your prober was a good one. Some of them can make it so much easier.

The sun coming out make it so pretty.

Marcia said...

It does look cold there. I'd like some snow here that would stick around but not with the temps you're . having.

Marie Smith said...

Blue Monday was grocery day here in the bitter cold as well. It took me the rest of the day to warm up.But hey, anything we have is better than what Newfoundland has!

Tabor said...

Yes, ours was a gloomy Sunday as well. But Saturday was wonderful, so I have that to be thankful for.

Barbara Rogers said...

I've never heard of the 20 Jan as a special blue day...or is it just (all) Mondays are blue? That I can agree with from having worked most of my life. The snow is beautiful, and I thank you very much for suffering to take photos for us. It's snowing here now, with sunshine but below freezing...doubt that any sticks. Hasn't been above freezing day or night for just 2 days here in NC. I'm not really complaining when I look at others further north!

Kay said...

OH MY GOSH! That IS a whole lot of snow!

MARY G said...

Yep. Pretty. Still shovelling. Sympathy about the probe bit .. JG is into that as well.

Joanne Noragon said...

The day our fire hydrants need locator poles, I'm moving to Bermuda. Oh, wait, we have not fire hydrants. We have water tanker fire trucks. Mondays don't rise to blue round here.

dellgirl said...

What beautiful snow pics, I like snow. . . in pictures. The photos are awesome. Thanks for sharing the inspiration. Wishing you all the best!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for the snow pics and we also remained indoors after our recent snowfall, so the feelings about not wanting to venture out are mutual, AC. We did go out on blue Monday with no mishaps to report. Too bad about the winless team and hope the procedures went well.

William Kendall said...

Quite a pile of snow!