Saturday, January 04, 2020

I Drove to the Levee

I did not take my Chevy, but I did drive to the levee — the town's New Year Levee. Yes, the levee was dry in the sense that the water was frozen.


It was the other kind of levee, the kind that refers more to a party or gathering, and not an embankment by a river.

The town has had a New Year Levee for some time now, but I had never attended. It was basically a free skate at the arena. This year it was held outdoors at the new rink by the new Junction (park, gathering place). Fortunately, the weather was mild, hovering around freezing or slightly above. Hot chocolate and hot dogs were made available and skating, of course.


The mayor and certain other council members were there. He usually takes a few minutes to chat with us. Here he is indulging me and Sue for a picture.


The horses were there to offer wagon rides to and from downtown.




This is a good town to live in.

14 comments:

Marie Smith said...

It is indeed. Lots of community spirit there by the look of it.

Tabor said...

Those horses are magnificent and you are brave to stand where you were in takig a photo.

Jenn Jilks said...

Excellent photos, as always. Well, almost always! :-)
I haven't been skating in years.

Sue looks gorgeous, as always.

PipeTobacco said...

Wow! I especially like the image with the horses that has the driver in view in a softer focus! Beautiful!!

PipeTobacco

MARY G said...

Horsing around on New Year's Day.

Barbara Rogers said...

Nice party for New Year...I do like those huge horses...and seeing others skating. I've never been an ice skater, but did roller skate for years as a kid.

Vicki Lane said...

It does look like a good place to live-- even if you describe temps around freezing as mild.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I love the horses. Did you catch a ride? I used to ice skate as a teenager and that is probably why both of my ankles are just shot all to heck today. I think I have twisted both of them at least five times each..now they are so weak. Great shot of you and Sue. Have a good weekend!

Christina said...

I am envious of your cold and clear weather, I imagine skating in the sunshine is amazing.

Should Fish More said...

But were "them good ole boys were drinking whiskey and rye"?

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Your town always sounds like an excellent place in which to live.

Joanne Noragon said...

What a beautiful matched pair of dray horses. I wonder what they do in their real life.

Kay said...

The lighting and color of those photos with the horses are amazing. I love that photo of Sue with the Mayor.

William Kendall said...

I like those horses.