Wednesday, January 29, 2020

The Bringing of Gifts

Omiyage is a way of life in Hawaii. It's a tradition brought over from Japan. Whenever a group gets together, almost everyone will bring a little gift happily wrapped. (from Kay's blog)

This got me thinking that our Western custom, although not quite as well refined in this regard, is pretty similar, particularly amongst women. I don't think Sue has ever visited anyone without bearing a gift, except probably if it is an habitual and recurring date such as her almost weekly visit to a nearby friend.

I remember back in the day when we used to watch Dr Phil (don't worry, we got over it long ago), he mentioned that men could even drop in on other men without bringing a gift. This may only be partially true, for I did bring donut holes when I dropped over to see Nick not long ago.

I was thinking that this was a recent phenomenon, but then a childhood memory soon disabused me of that.

When I was 5 or 6, we visited one of Mom's cousins whom I called Aunt. She took along with her a box a Laura Secord suckers aka lollipops. I looked forward to them greatly as treats were not all that plentiful at our house.

After some time, when the treat was not forthcoming, I wandered into the kitchen and began to open the box. Mother was aghast at my lack of couth, but I was too young to know better.

So, the custom isn't new although I do believe that it has risen to new heights.


13 comments:

MARY G said...

Yes, also my family's custom ...almost always a food gift, or flowers. If you stayed overnight, the gift would be more substantial. My mother called them 'hostess gifts'.
Too bad about the lollipop. I would probably have done the same.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

This is very interesting. I do think these customs may have changed in the past years, though most of my visiting is to relatives.
There are times when we usually do bring gifts - around the holidays, and visits of condolence, visits to a new mother, hostess gifts. But I don't think it is as often here as you are describing. My family has a lot of potluck sorts of family events, but that is rather different.

gigi-hawaii said...

Not only do we bring gifts to people's homes, we also give gifts to people visiting us.

Shammickite said...

Yes these little presents are known as "hostess gifts" But if a man is taking donut holes to another man, is it a "host gift"?

DJan said...

I went to a slide show at a friend's house recently, and I noticed that, even though we were not expected to bring anything, several people brought treats to share. I thought that was a nice gesture. It's not one I've followed, though. I ate the treats happily without any guilt. :-)

Marie Smith said...

Donut holes! Yay!

PipeTobacco said...

I do like the idea of donut holes as gifts!!!

PipeTobacco

Jenn Jilks said...

I never go to someone's house without taking something. Well, except the kids. But then, I don't ever go anywhere else!
sigh.

MARY G said...

Timbits. Sigh.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I have noticed that whenever people announce a get together in a group setting, the first question asked after the date and time issues are settles is "What can we bring?" Apparently, it's a widespread custom.

Vicki Lane said...

What a nice custom. Around here folks will bring wine if they're coming for a meal. And occasionally, in season, flowers or edibles from the garden.

Kay said...

Oh my! I’m so flattered that you mentioned my blog post. I’m in Chicago right now with my brother taking over staying with my mother. I haven’t been able to visit blogs but had this bit of time to just browse a tiny bit. Thank you so much. I did bring a bunch of omiyages for my daughter and her family as well as all the friends we’ll be visiting this week. It does take a bunch of space in our luggage, but we love to share the islands with friends.

William Kendall said...

Cookies or chocolate would be my go-to.