Thursday, November 09, 2023

Waiting at the Gate

Findings from my Monday X-Rays were posted yesterday. I don't know exactly what all of the words mean except that I have arthritis and that nothing is broken. It doesn't seem as though I have a major problem although it sure feels like one. My GP, may or may not break it down for me — the report I mean and not my arm although there are times that she might like to do just that.
There is no fracture or suspicious bony lesion. The glenohumeral joint is anatomical. There is some degree of osteoarthritis of the glenohumeral joint which evaluation is suboptimal due to positioning. There is early osteoarthritis of the acromioclavicular joint. The remainder of the visualized bony structures is unremarkable. The soft tissues are unremarkable.

I also had my second physio treatment yesterday, but the therapist hadn't seen the results yet, although it seems as though there will substantive for her to see. She did tape me up to try to reduce pressure  ==>.

I'll wear the tape for a few days and will then see her again next week. I am not expecting a cure but am hoping for enough relief to function better with less pain. It sure would be nice to be able to go to bed again.

Then, the hospital didn't want to let me leave.

You see, we have to pay to exit the hospital parking lot by dropping three bucks in the machine. The gate lifts and off we go. In theory.

We have dollar and two-dollar coins here. The dollar coin came first. It had a loon 'engraved' on it, so we called them loonies. We still call them loonies, but I never look at them and don't even know if they still bear the loon image. When the two-dollar coin came about, we simply called them toonies. Canadians are very imaginative, eh.

I write that to write this about dropping the coins into the gate box. Every toonie that I possessed, and I had three of them, which is one more than I supposedly needed to have the dadblasted gate lift, simply passed through the machine — rattle rattle, clunk at the bottom. Of course, I tried each one more than once. There is an outside possibility that I swore as they continued to be rejected. Fortunately, I also had three loonies which the machine accepted. The gate rose, and I went on my way. But what about next time?

Once released from parking, I proceeded on my way to meet the boys for coffee. I couldn't get them both into one selfie, so here we are with their little heads behind my gigantic noggin. Please notice who has the best cap.

Nick


Bob

Anyway . . .  before I so rudely interrupted myself with my exciting coffee date, I was going to say that the city hospital parking worked much better when we were there on Monday. You get a stub when you enter the lot. When it is time to leave, you pay any way that you wish to pay at a machine inside the hospital. It issues another ticket which you insert as you exit the parking lot to make the gate rise.

I've never had a problem with that system, except for the small fact that the city hospital demands $14 and not just $3. Come to think of it, parking is the most expensive part of going to the hospital. And come to think of it further, it is, in point of fact, the only necessary expense. Yet, being who we are, we still begrudge it.

We are once again masked in hospitals, whether our little one or city big ones. In the waiting room for Sue's visit, we were also partitioned.

A 'glass' barrier between Sue and me.
 

Once again, feel free to praise le chapeau.



31 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Great hat & you do wear it well. Glad you & Sue are getting good health news.

MARY G said...

A fine hat. Indeed.
Our box rejects loonies too. JG had a whole roll of them, brand new, and went through most of the pile before he was allowed to pay. I guess the city system is more reliable, but $14.00. Ouch! We visit the city hospitals enough that several years now we have claimed the expense, and all those parking fees get added in. Thank you Revenue Canada.

Barbara Rogers said...

Well, I must say I'm glad you don't have any torn muscles, or problem bones. Arthur is not something to laugh about however, and keeps many of us less mobile than we'd like...so I hope your physio will help with your shoulder. Your friends may be a bit shy, but it was a good way to capture them and of course your wonderful visage with hat! I've been masked in several places lately, and when I go in without one, those people must do a double take, to figure out who that bare faced woman is!

DJan said...

Your hat is exquisite. And egads $14 to park seems a bit on the high side.

Boud said...

Is the hat parade a bit competitive??
I'm glad they didn't find anything ominous in your shoulder but I wish you could get relief.

Jenn Jilks said...

Yes, it is a great chapeau!

Glad you managed physio. I take Glucosamine and Chondroitin for my arthritis.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Le chapeau is simply maaahhhhhhvelous, dahling, and YES hands-down the best amongst your and your friends' lids. I'd say next time you go to the hospital, be stocked up on loonies or be prepared to succumb to the temptation to swear. A glass partition between you and someone with whom you live? OK ... don't get me started on that. BTW I'm neither a doctor nor a radiologic technician and I don't play either one on television and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but this: "some degree of osteoarthritis of the glenohumeral joint which evaluation is suboptimal due to positioning" means that whoever took your X-ray did a suboptimal job and the doctor couldn't see what they needed to see in order to give an accurate diagnosis, hahaha! I'd insist on a do-over but again, be stocked up on loonies. (Just kidding about the do-over.) xoxo

Liz Hinds said...

It drives me mad when you only have the right number of coins and one is rejected for some reason! I mostly pay for parking by card now.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Forgive me if I laughed at your gate incident and your attempt at selfies. Both sound and look like something that would happen to me!

Jinksy said...

Can't fault your sense of humour, Good Sir - nor your choice of chapeau - I could fancy one as colourful myself, to make a change from horns! :-)

Celia said...

Bon chapeau. Or Beau chapeau, anyway it looks great. Sorry about your shoulder. I have a hip that keeps me from sleeping on one side. But, we are still standing, mostly.

Tom said...

Masked? We're not doing that around here. It seems the only people who've gotten Covid recently are those who travel (Ireland, Calif., Florida). Anyhoo ... it's not so much the hat, but what's under it that's so impressive!

Debby said...

We had trouble getting out of the parking lot too. I grabbed the ticket from the 'dash' of the car and tried to scan it for an irritatingly long time. It would not accept it. No RFID or some damn thing. Turned out that I shoved the new ticket in my coat pocket in my nervousness. I was scanning the ticket from our previous visit.

Embarrassed myself on that one. Both of tickets have gone in the trash.

Margaret said...

The hospital in Seattle worked the latter way and was equally expensive. I think we should all be masked in hospitals; there are so many illnesses and fragile people in them! It's only common sense to me. Love the snazzy chapeau and the report on the shoulder although it would be better if it didn't hurt. I think I wrote before that John had an extremely painful shoulder that was helped immensely by a steroid shot then PT and exercises to do at home.

Cloudia said...

I do love your hat. Glad you're taking care of yourselves. I hope it is smooth sailing and a beautiful weekend. Aloha

PipeTobacco said...

Not sure if your osteoarthritis would benefit as much, but often for rheumatoid arthritis XELJANZ or TREMFYA are fairly modern medications that have helped reduce pain and worsening of the condition.

Your cap is by far the best, but your white bearded friend’s cap is pretty up-to-snuff as well!

Osteoarthritis pain can sometimes also be lessened by prescribed, specific physical therapy…. including low level weight bearing exercises in specific movement patterns.

PipeTobacco

Marie Smith said...

Your X-ray result is like mine. The physio really helps.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

My medical center used to charge for parking. As if it wasn't bad enough having to drive around in tight circles for six or seven floors to (hopefully) find a compact parking space. Thankfully, they leave the gate open now. Probably as a result of many, many complaints.

roentare said...

A gold coin for parking is very cheap. We are paying over 76 AUD for parking in any major hospital here

RedPat said...

Hopefully some more physio and you will be back to normal.
Parking is so expensive at the hospitals here that I circle blocks looking for parking meters instead.

Ed said...

I may have a loonie, toonie or two in my collection of change gathered from travels around the world. Unlike other currencies, I always remember the words loonie and toonie.

For some reason, I always dread that very scenario where I'm approaching a gate and there is traffic lined up behind me. I'm always afraid I'll drop something or as in your case, something will not work, and I'll be stuck there blocking traffic. It hasn't happened but it makes my pulse rise whenever I'm in that situation.

Kay said...

I've heard of loonies, but not toonies. I actually had to chuckle when you wrote "eh." That was so weird. I think most or all the gate machines here accept credit cards instead.

Red said...

I hope they get to the bottom of this mysterious problem.

The Furry Gnome said...

Yes, a very distinguished chapeau!

PipeTobacco said...

Addendum…. I wonder if perhaps that $3 C parking lot’s meter is designed to ONLY accept Loonies….. and would never accept Twonies….perhaps to avoid folks from putting in two twonies and expecting change?

PipeTobacco

Debby said...

Ps. To be in your gang, is it a requirement to wear snazzy chapeaus?

Barwitzki said...

I wish you well, well, well with your shoulder... I had to deal with it once too, it was painful for a very long time, now it's fine again.
Ask your physical therapist about exercises... there are wonderful ones you can do with the bands at home. Maybe it's something. I did it.
Your men's coffee is great and yes the caps... of course yours and Bob's... no question.
Hug

Jeanie said...

Next time, get loonies before you go!

Every time I get a report like that I take every word I don't understand, google it, and then rewrite the report. It doesn't tell me if anything can be done or what will be done to alleviate it, but at least I understand it before the doc explains it to me so I can better ask questions.

Your PT will probably give you good shoulder exercises to do at home. After my PT for rotator cuff there were a bunch of home exercises, most easy enough without equipment other than light dumbbell weights or bands they give you. Good luck.

Blondi Blathers said...

You have reminded me that I used to wear a hat like yours. Wonder where it ended up.

Rotator cuff injuries take a long time to heal, if I recall correctly. Sorry about that.

Granny Sue said...

Ah yes, the hat is indeed fine!

William Kendall said...

I had a coin issue with one bloody quarter at the laundromat today.