Sunday, November 12, 2023

Disability Cooperation

With one very sore shoulder and one very sore rib cage, this old couple is managing. 

Saturday is washing day, although finishing loads are done on Sunday. It was time to change the sheets, even though I haven’t been using the bed for several weeks. Sue managed to get the old sheets off but needed help getting the clean ones on. It’s not easy with these modern, thick mattresses on king-size beds, but with a little cooperation, we managed.

Sue sorted the laundry appropriately. I dragged the baskets down, and Sue loaded the washer. When it was done, I emptied the washer, filled the dryer, and emptied both. It's a pain for Sue and her ribs, for the washer is top-loaded and deep, and the dryer is front-loaded and extends back forever.

In the afternoon, Shauna was conscripted to decorate the planters in front of the garage for Christmas. In addition to being decorative, the planters also serve the dual function of creating a buffer in front of the garage doors. This will help to keep the snowplow guy from banging into the garage door — not that he seems to do this on properties that don’t keep planters there. He did crack a planter once, so I guess it is good to have that buffer.


In the morning, we managed to get the work area set up for Shauna in the afternoon.


Sue would have trouble decorating the planters by herself this year, and since she doesn’t wish to entrust the job to the male of the house, she asked Shauna to do the honours. Now, Shauna has her own problems with her neck, so we got the planters and decorations onto tables for her, and she went at it.


A composite of the two flower pots. Sha did a good job.
We should have a proper photo of both pots with the garage door closed,
but we didn't get around to it, and then it was dark.


Sue and I have also cooperated to bring a few decorations up from the basement. She chooses, I carry, and once up, she arranges. It won't be as fulsome of a display as in some years, but it will be enough. There are other decorations in the house, but this is the view we will see most often.


When we are not actively watching tv, it will run Christmas scenes until January.


JJ helped by bringing the carousel (behind him) up for us, along with some other items, like our little Christmas tree (not shown here).




Amongst the four of us, we gotter done.

I mean five of us.





27 comments:

Liz Hinds said...

My, you are well-organised! And it all looks so pretty.

Marcia said...

With Canada's Thanksgiving in October decorating for the next holiday doesn't seem too early. I did make a start here by putting the candles in the windows. I must get some other things out soon.

Barbara Rogers said...

Goodness, you all are doing Christmas decorations already! Well, the stores are too! Loved all of them, especially the TV which will show Christmas scenes - what a great app that is. I love clicking onto a fireplace scene with the carols...and sometimes mute it just to enjoy the fireplace. As close as I can get to a real one. Oh, and Lacey better behave with her claws (does she have them?) with that beautifully crocheted blanket!

Boud said...

You're certainly organized. My own small decorations will go up in late December!

RedPat said...

I haven't even thought about Christmas decorations.

MARY G said...

I am awed. I have a plan to dig into the Christmas decoration storage sometime before the 15th. And you are done already. I see you are bribing the workers with popcorn and, if I recall correctly, extra kibble.
So sorry you are hurting. I know a bit about that. it takes me all day to do the laundry. JG found an extra cane and I use that to hook stuff out of the back of the drier. And the fourth corner on the sheet is a real trial, eh.
Get better! Enjoy your decorations. I am.

Cloudia said...

May you have a blessed season, dear friends! Aloha

Dianne said...

Your grandson has your eyes! Love the decorations...gave me an idea for our tv. And the kitty...love it!

DJan said...

I love that TV app. Reminded me that I need to order the Jacquie Lawson Advent calendar soon. Your situation reminded me of that old Jack Sprat and his wife conundrum.

Margaret said...

It's beautiful but I'm a little stressed even thinking about it since it all falls on me. I could ask my daughters but they're busy with the Littles. I'll procrastinate until December.

Vicki Lane said...

Looking festive! Well done, all of you. Especially Lacey.

NGS said...

You'll be able to enjoy those Christmas decorations for quite some time!

Celia said...

Enjoyed seeing your Christmas decor. I put nothing up last year but will have a small tree this Christmas and will enjoy the huge tree my kids put up. Most of the partying goes on at their house. Those TV views of a crackling fire are surprisingly satifying.

Debby said...

I really have been fighting the desire to get my tree up. I have never put my tree up before Thanksgiving. You and Sue are not helping!

roentare said...

Just great to have everything done in an organised way

Tabor said...

Our TV is usually off, so not sure that would work for us. Lovely garages decorations and nobody hear clears the driveway that close! HOpe you both are healing soon, but with that good-looking man, not too soon.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Bravo! It is all simply charming! BTW my washer and dryer are exactly as you described yours. It's a pain even for a person without physical limitations of the kind you two are experiencing. xoxo

Red said...

You two are wrecks. I know the feeling. I get to reach for things. I hope both of you get back to good health.

Granny Sue said...

Who knew that togetherness would come to mean this kind of load-sharing! But you two have made it a fine art. It's just unfortunate that you both have to deal with such pain while trying to do everyday tasks. The planters and decorations are just perfect, and I think you are making the best of the situation.
And yes, that's my washer and dryer too. Very painful for me with my arthritis to get wad in and out of them, but it must be done.

Catalyst said...

But . . but . . but . . it's ONLY the middle of November!!!

BTW, will JJ be a permanent holiday decoration in your home? Better give him a larger bowl of popcorn.

Kay said...

You all make a great team. We have to work as a partnership too. I'm so envious of you being so organized and getting ready for the holidays already. I know some people are already done with their holiday shopping. Good gosh!

Marie Smith said...

It takes a village…or a family…

Joanne Noragon said...

Done and well done! Great team work.

dellgirl said...

Your blog today is a source of inspiration on the “how-to(s)” and “where-forths” of getting things done. Thank you for sharing this today. It is right on time.

Wishing you well, my friend, Have a blessed week.

Patio Postcards said...

I think there is a Hallmark Christmas movie plot in this post (col). Great family effort in getting Christmas out & up. Shauna did a fabulous job on the two planters. She's hired! Beautiful crocheted quilt & pillow, Lacey looks perfectly festive & comfortable.

Jeanie said...

Shauna may have missed her calling. Those planter boxes are fabulous -- she's very good. I was about to suggest you enlist the support of the younger generation -- but I see you already have! It looks great. I love your shelf above the TV and Lacey looks very content!

William Kendall said...

Lacey is a good su-purr-visor.