Saturday, November 18, 2023

Caturday 56: Lacey Supervises and Trains Us

Sue is extra keen on people smiling biggly in photos. Me? Not so much, at least when I am the subject. But she said something funny and made me laugh naturally.

Meanwhile, Lacey seemed to be on Sue's side by making sure that I was cooperative on this occasion. 


We set the above scene for one of Sue's photo prompts. In sickness and in health, she hasn't missed her daily posting all year.

As for Lacey, she has also been retraining me to cater to her hobbitish proclivity, for more often than not, she now requires a second breakfast. This makes it four meals per day in addition to providing her with occasional treats and keeping the kibble dish topped up.

I hasten to add that this does not increase her actual food intake, for I now divide one of those small cans into four portions instead of three.

The extra breakfast is my fault really, but from the moment I awake, which is often the middle of the night, she hangs around hoping for breakfast. She keeps her eye on me for hours before what I consider to be proper breakfast time, so I tend relent and take her down to the kitchen. But if I do feed her early, she feels that she deserves an additional helping in another hour or two

Consequently, I abide by her wishes and feed her that extra dish, but unbeknownst to her, the daily allotment remains the same.

It's one can per day, Lacey. Ces't tout. Point finale.

========================

I wrote that ↑ more than a week ago, but I waited until a Caturday to post it. Now I have a breakfast addition from Thursday morning.

As is her usual custom, Lacey waited by the computer chair for kibble as soon as I awoke at 4:30. Yes, she wants this feeding directly from me even though her bowl is just across the hall.

Two hours later, she was on her pedestal, training her gimlet eye upon me, hoping that I would seen take her downstairs for breakfast. I demurred because I like to keep breakfast for both of until close to 9 o'clock.


An hour-and-a-half later, she had been sitting by a chair for a long time. I relented, and down we went together, both of us hobbling in our arthritic ways.








21 comments:

Tabor said...

She certainly has you well-trained. I wonder if she should open up a business for training humans.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh poor dear Lacey, is being flummoxed by her humans even though she's trying so hard to eat more. There are so few pleasures in life...sleep-eat-bathe-use-the-box-eat-sleep-sit-on-someone's-warm-lap...

Boud said...

I like the first picture complete with photo bombing by Lacey.

Vicki Lane said...

Our cats freak whenever a bit of the bottom of their food bowl is bare. (They get only dry food, and I try to keep the bowl filled during the day.) When they have eaten a hole in it, one of them will appear at my side, letting me know that there is a situation to be addressed. Often I don't add more food but shake the bowl till the bottom is covered again and they are satisfied.

Karen said...

I've taken to dividing the cats food up into smaller portions, more frequently, too. MY old gal, especially, wants a bedtime meal. It was keeping her quiet through the night for awhile, but lately she has started pouncing on my pillow at some ungawdly hour demanding breakfast in a loud voice.

Anvilcloud said...

Vicki: Apparently, this is a real thing with cats.

Karen: their insistence can be very difficult to ignore.

Marcia said...

I'm assuming that she doesn't wake you to be fed. Our last cat did that at 2 am or so. She was very ill at that point so we relented and gave her something. But if we didn't, did she ever yowl at us.

Barwitzki said...

Oh yes, life isn't easy sometimes...
and snacking a little bit throughout the day is wonderful... the most important thing I've learned NOW is: you can always eat BUT the portion for a day (i.e. the kcal) must not increase.
Remember - absolutely!

RedPat said...

She is the boss of you!

Margaret said...

I think it's much healthier for cats (and probably for people) to eat smaller more frequent meals. Lacey knows this. :)

DJan said...

She is a beautiful cat and knows her humans well. Good idea to feed more often but not more volume.

Jenn Jilks said...

That is funny, dividing the portions.
We've two cats, as you know, and the little one is a wolfer down type. Cinn eats more sparingly, but is tubby. sigh.
Nice laugh!

roentare said...

That is a good smile. You seem to lose weight there.

Joanne Noragon said...

Kitty gets two treat kibbles from me, twice a day, in the morning and in the evening. She hopefully appears anytime I sit in the magic chair. I show her my empty hands and she turns sadly away.

Marie Smith said...

That is a great photo of you, AC. Great job, Sue!

MARY G said...

You do have a very nice smile. But it is most amusing that it is clear that the cat is Not Smiling in her last photo. The gimlet eye, for sure.

Debby said...

Lol. The life goal of every single cat I have ever known.

Kay said...

I can see why Sue asks you to smile, John. You have a very warm, lovely smile. And Lacey certainly knows what a softie you are.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Awwww! Lacey is a chow hound, haahaha! My TG does not like to show his teeth in pictures either. I can never figure out why because natural smiles make everyone look more attractive! xoxo

Jeanie said...

You know I love a good Lacey post and this is a good one. Great portrait of you, too.(I love Lacey photo bombing you!)

William Kendall said...

She's such a cutie.