Thursday, November 23, 2023

Looking Across the Street Again

One night after photographing the neighbour's seasonal display, I felt compelled to do it again. We had freezing rain in the early evening, and with my window partially iced, I thought I might capture some interesting effects by shooting through the ice. Let's see if I succeeded.

This ↓ is how the main display looked. Do you like it? I do.


I pointed my camera the garage and to the window above it — the one with the tree. I like that too.


Maybe the other neighbour's tree didn't turn out quite as well, but I find the gentle diffusion around the pinpoints of the lights, interesting.


It was hard to catch with the camera, but from another angle I could tree the shadows of trees when I focused on the ice itself and not on the scene beyond.


However, when I looked out again before I went to bed several hours later, the ice on the window had melted, and, lo and behold, there was snow on the ground. That necessitated one more shot, but you can see the round waterdrops that were splattered here and there on the pane. They show up best in the dark background above the lights.


That was an interesting diversion, and not having to leave the house to get winter photos was a bonus.


18 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

These are amazing!

Boud said...

Diffusion is such a good word. Also a great technique. I much appreciate the don't fence me in display when it's diffused!

Barbara Rogers said...

What fun to take advantage of Jack Frost's visit to turn into impressionistic photos. One of these nights maybe the neighbors will drive the cars out of the driveway for a clear shot of their decorations.

MARY G said...

I like the blue tree. The display, either clear or diffuse, does not, um, turn me on. Too much, somehow. I like monochrome, and spaced. But you have done a fine job in capturing it.

DJan said...

Very nice effects and, as you say, no need to go outside!

Margaret said...

Those are atmospheric...and from the comfort of your home! A definite plus.

Karen said...

Mother Nature has the best special effects.

RedPat said...

That was a lot of freezing rain. I like the effects that you got and you didn't have to worry about slipping on ice.

Catalyst said...

Beautiful photos. You are well on your way to becoming a hermit. 😎

roentare said...

These are fabulous!

Marie Smith said...

I especially like the fourth one. A different look at freezing rain!

PipeTobacco said...

The diffusion effects are very nice…rather surreal! I think your neighbor lives by the adage of “leave no stone unturned….er, ah, uh….nor any inch of ground uncovered by a decoration”. 😉

Red said...

the last interesting diversion is the one for me.

Joanne Noragon said...

I liked the first one, too.

Patio Postcards said...

The ice makes an interesting filter for the camera. It certainly does look like Christmas joyfully threw up at your neighbours :)

Kay said...

They are all very interesting and artistic. I love the idea of getting interesting photos without leaving the comfort of a warm home.

Granny Sue said...

First and next to last are my favorites. Fun stuff!

William Kendall said...

I like the result.