Monday, November 13, 2023

0 or 2

I took the quiz and scored low, maybe 2 and maybe even 0. However, I am not sure whether a low score is considered to be a win or a loss. I would have set it up to give a point for everything that you have done.



I have done at least 18 of those 20 items. Only #12 and #19 are in question, and while I say I have done them, I’ll let you be the judge from what I have to say, below.

(12) I may not have actually recorded music from radio to cassette, but I have listened to radio-recorded music. Sue’s aunt lived in Detroit and recorded music from a Christian radio station there, and I remember playing her tapes on the front porch of the cottage back in the early 70s. So, is it a point or not a point?

(19) Also, it wasn’t me, but my parents had a set of encyclopedias, the kind where you purchased one volume weekly or maybe monthly at the grocery store. That was in the 50s, but they kept the set possibly into the 70s. 
I haven't personally bought encyclopedias .Early in our marriage, I recall getting quite a sales pitch, but I managed to resist the pitch. After all, I could use the encyclopedias in the school where I taught.
I think those two items, 12 & 19, qualify, so  I score 0, but if you think it's 2, I will accept your judgement.

So which is it: 0 or 2?

Oddly enough, I think 0 would be better than 2.

Considering the age of most fine folk who drop by here, I am guessing that others will have similar scores on the whole list. 

========================

Since one of the points dealt with encyclopedias, and this quiz was about old things, I am reminded of how I learned to spell the word. Do you recall this from the Mickey Mouse Club?

28 comments:

Granny Sue said...

I scored 2 as well. Never recorded from radio to cassette, and never rented from Blockbuster because the closest was an hour or more away.

Marie Smith said...

Not only have I done them, several I still do!

Marcia said...

At first go through I had a 2.

Debby said...

I had a 1. Yep. We b old.

Boud said...

I've done all of them. Not sure if this is good or just an age related normal score! I'm a sucker for quizzes, even the what flower are you and which Austen heroine!

Jenn Jilks said...

I recall sending a kid to the office to phone home. It was around 2000 or so. It was a rotary dial in Manotick, and the kid didn't know how to do it!

NGS said...

Zero. I've done all these things. I'm in my mid-40s, so I guess I'm officially An Old.

Karen said...

I scored 0, and learned to spell a lot of words from Mickey Mouse Club. The tune spelling Mickey Mouse will be todays ear worm, haha.

Jenny the Pirate said...

If I were the judge, I would give you a perfect zero! I love your account of listening to Sue's aunt's Christian radio tapes. Definitely not a point. As always, it's the spirit of the law, rather than the letter, that counts.

I scored a one, only because I know I have never recorded anything from radio to cassette, and never (to my knowledge) listened to any such medium. As a child I was enamored of encyclopedias and gravitated, every time I was in a library, to the World Book set. In 1987 I bought our children an entire set of World Book, and they still grace our shelves although are seldom opened. I just love having them. Dagny, who is home-schooled this year, has been encouraged to use them to study things that happened long before 1987, but I don't think she's availed herself of that privilege yet (mainly because she is never here when she's doing her lessons in the morning) ... xoxo

Jenny the Pirate said...

I meant to say, love the little Jiminy Cricket video. Also I learned something cute the other day ... as in, always make sure that at least one half of a couple has good credit. That's what Significant Other means: Sign If I Can't. Haaahahaa xoxo

RedPat said...

I scored a 0. Must be old! I have a friend who still uses her rotary phone.

Ed said...

I'm a zero as well. I still remember the excitement of recording Prince's "Batman" song in it's entirety onto my cassette recorder microphone, propped up on a phonebook stood on edge next to the speaker. I also remember the day I finally got rid of those encyclopedias at a garage sale and realized how much space I had on the wall of the living room now.

DB Stewart said...

I scored 2. I still have a set of encyclopedias...they're like childhood friends, haha. Fun.

Jeanie said...

I got a 1. Never had a walkman. (Does listening on your phone count?) I think the lower the better. And I could see you with either 0 or 2!

Megan said...



Shame people like me who spell encyclopaedia properly can't join in the song !! Only kidding...not!

PipeTobacco said...

I have scored a zero on this quiz.

PipeTobacco

DJan said...

I got a 1, as well. Never recorded radio to cassette, but all the others, yeah. :-)

The Furry Gnome said...

0 for me, definitely!

Cloudia said...

Ah the higher you score the older you are. I see. Look at all those archaic technologies that I did use, lol. Aloha!

Joanne Noragon said...

I think you scored a zero, technically.

Red said...

Those questions are oldies. I'm missing 2 sort of!

Margaret said...

A definite zero for me although I question whether I've actually used a floppy disk if those are the big ones. I used the small disks though--were those also called floppy disks?

roentare said...

I scored 3

MARY G said...

Three. I have obviously failed either the high score or no score. I think, though, that the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations and the Oxford Companion to English Literature, both of which I used this morning, should qualify me for something. Not sure what.

Celia said...

Just a 1. I had an encylopedia I inherited from my Grandmother and a set of the Harvard Classics which I still do read. The internet is my encylopedia for better or worse. I still do an occasional paper check.

Cloudia said...

Im sharing this tomorrow!! Great minds

William Kendall said...

Looks like four or five not in the cards for me.

Kay said...

You're right. I'm a 0.