Sunday, November 05, 2023

Tamaracks and Bleak November

We looked out the window. It was sunny. "Let's at least go to the little park (not the park that you usually see on this blog) and check out the tamaracks," said I.

Their wood is used to make runners for dogsleds as well as old-school snowshoes. They are made into pulp for our paper, used in framing houses, and even railroad ties. Needles of this species are often made into a tea that is used as a diuretic, to soothe sore throats, and even chewed to aid digestion.
That's ↑ nice information, but what is special to me about tamaracks is that, unlike other conifers, their leaves (needles) turn colour in autumn just like deciduous trees. And just like regular deciduous trees, they drop their leaves/needles.

There are a few in our nearby little park around the little nearby corner, and I tend to go there to check out the tamarack trees come late autumn.

Naturally, once we got out, there was no sun — zip, nada. When was it ever not thus? On the plus side, they hadn't dropped their needles yet, and some of the specimens were even still more green than yellow. But one takes photographs anyway because one is there, and one (or two) might not get back anytime soon.

While colours may not be dazzling on cloudy days, I find that they still have a kind of appeal to me.




Of course, the other trees were barren, and I think this ↓ photo reflects the bleakness that is November. I shot it in square format just because . . .


I hope to get back there at some point for another attempt. We shall see.



19 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

In the first photo I like the one on the left. But you chose to take another shot of the one on the right. OK. We all make choices. Perhaps my thinking was that its symmetry let me enjoy the colors and frailty of those needles, which I didn't know were about to fall off.

Debby said...

If ever was a picture to sum up the month of November, it's that last one. Striking.

Boud said...

I don't think there are tamaracks around here, though there's a street named for them. They're interesting.

Jenn Jilks said...

They are an interesting tree!
Our pines lose 1/7 of their needles in fall. It scared me, at first!

Tabor said...

Ah, composition. I seem to form it in my mind and I think it is one of the few talents I may have when photographing...but I also find I have to do some cropping when I get back to the PC and see what I really have! I love those trees. I remember hiking in Canada and seeing the larch trees.

RedPat said...

That last shot really sums up the season although it is sunny here right now and there are still lots of leaves on most of the trees.

Margaret said...

That square photo does encapsulate the feel of November. I like the color against the gray sky too; it's uplifting!

Red said...

Tamaracks can be brilliant. Ours were this year.

Marie Smith said...

The tamaracks here are golden now too. They put on such a lovely display!

roentare said...

More beautiful autumn colours.

Should Fish More said...

The last photo, of the tree, reminded me of a scene in the movie "Three Days of the Condor"...Where Redford is commenting on one of the photos on the wall of Faye Dunaway's apt. "...not winter..november." he says.

Catalyst said...

Those are definitely November skies.

William Kendall said...

The only ones I know of in the city are at the Museum of Nature.

Vicki Lane said...

Beautiful trees. I doubt I've seen one in person, at least not to know it.

Kay said...

Ah yes, I remember November fall in Chicago. It's hard to take photos on cloudy days.

The Furry Gnome said...

We photographed tamaracks today too.

dellgirl said...

I like this post, it’s great, and I love the awesome photos. Thank you for sharing this.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I need to take some photos of tamarack in my area.

Jenny the Pirate said...

I think the golden of the tamaracks against the gray sky is fabulous. Makes the color pop. I love shooting on non-sunny days because for me, the only time you can shoot on sunny days is the golden hour. xoxo