Tuesday, October 18, 2022

V is not just for Victory

I learned two new words on the same day. They both came from online activity, one word from Flickr and one from Twitter. Oddly enough they were both V words. I post of them here today in the hope that might actually remember them. These are high hopes indeed and probably unrealistic.

I came across verklempt from reading a sports-related tweet. (From dictionary,com)

adjective
INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN
overcome with emotion.
"she was all verklempt earlier this week over her latest split from her husband"

A Flickr photo used verdigris in the title. I had to look that up too. This time from Wikipedia, just for variety:
Verdigris is the common name for blue-green, copper-based pigments that form a patina on copper, bronze, and brass.
Although these weren't from reading books, it does highlight one advantage of reading on a device such as a computer, phone or iPad. You can easily select the word and do a search. When you, or at least I, am reading a physical book, I am prone to just move on. I mean, if I am engrossed in a story, I don't want to close the book, find the dictionary, thumb for the word, close the dictionary, re-open the novel, and only then get back to the story. In comparison, it is so easy and efficient to search on an internet-enabled device.

12 comments:

Boud said...

I look things up online as I read, a lot. I also check YouTube for bits of music and other sounds such as bells, mentioned in a current text, when they're significant to the narrative.

Marie Smith said...

I love this Information Age. Whenever you wonder about something, you can have the answer in seconds! Remember the days…

Barbara Rogers said...

It sure is nice to have this information available so easily. Already reading the blogs of today, I've looked up a word, which mgiht have been a typo...only to find out it was.

Vicki Lane said...

Verklempt is such a nifty word. I believe it's from Yiddish--which has given us great words like bupkes, and meshuga and yenta.

Margaret said...

I knew verklempt but not verdigris. I love learning new words!

RedPat said...

I like to learn new words. I was familiar with both of your V words but it was nice to see a definition anyway.

Jeanie said...

I knew both of those and even use "verklempt" now and then. Verdigris I learned from having copper! Some people hate that look but I think it's pretty! I love words!

Ed said...

Call me a grumpy older man set in his ways but I generally don't have the patience for such words. Even if one knows them and uses them, 99% of the population won't understand and so the person who knows them is wasting the listeners time or if they are like me and just get a glassy eyed look, the speaker is wasting their breath. Either way is a waste over using common vernacular.

William Kendall said...

Verklempt I knew.

Debby said...

I knew both those v words, but I love having google at my finger tips while reading. I saw a 3 volume set of dictionaries a thrift store. My dictionary fits in my pocket!

Rita said...

Love computers!
I knew both of these but not something that trips off my tongue--lol! :)

Kay said...

I saw a comedy segment a long time ago and they used the word verklempt. But I thought they made it out to be a Yiddish word.