Thursday, October 20, 2022

A Port in the Storm

Shall I just begin with the end? Maybe not the end but an end nevertheless. 

To wit: my brand new blood pressure monitor revealed last evening's blood pressure to be 143/89. Sometime later this morning, I will take my first reading of the day. Apparently, I am supposed to wait until well after coffee. I've just had my first cup, and I expect to have one more, so I shall take the test in a few hours time.

On with the story.

It begins yesterday morning with me seated in my chair. Suddenly, I was seeing wavy, shimmering lines out of the corner of my left eye. It must be a mirage, thought I. But the waves followed me to the bathroom and back again, at which time I thought it would be best to reveal this misfortune to Beloved, who became just a tad concerned.

As I sat in a mildly fretful state of mind, the waves dissipated, but I wasn't seeing quite right either. After contemplating this odd occurrence, I thought it prudent to call my local, friendly optometrist for a consult.

Meanwhile, Sue the Worrier was texting Shauna, who, in turn, texted her doctor boss, who felt that I should call my doctor to get my blood pressure checked. With one appointment already on the books, I thought that would be overkill, so I declined. "Nope. I am not going to do that," said I with feet firmly planted and arms defiantly crossed.

However, I did consent to have Sue drive around the corner to the pharmacy to sit in that very public chair and to see what their BP monitor had to say about it all. I scored a whopping 171/96 when anything over 140 is considered high. Yikes!  The machine gives three consecutive readings, and my third was down to 146/96 — still high but not quite so scarily high.

We walked around the store calmly for awhile before sitting for another set of three. The results were only mildly better.

This was odd because, historically, my BP has been pretty rock solid in the very good 120/80 range throughout my adult life. Having said that, I haven't had my BP checked regularly for some time.

Thus ensued a call to the doctor, and thus followed another trip to the pharmacy, this time to purchase my own BP monitor in order to take regular readings at home.

The good doctor wants me to take two readings per day for a week, after which time we shall consult again. I am to sit quietly for five minutes before each testing. Then, I am instructed to sit for another two minutes before taking a second reading. I am to scrap the first reading and record the second, which last night, was the 143/89 mentioned above. It could be worse, but a reading above 140 is said to be high.

In the meantime, the optometrist had examined my eye using drops and a very bright light. This was my second appointment in two weeks after having abstained from regular eye exams during COVID. Thankfully, she reported that she could see no structural damage. However, the sight in that eye was worse than it was two weeks ago, for I had trouble reading the very first line.

Two weeks ago, I gone for a comprehensive eye exam for the purpose of getting new glasses, even though I hadn't been legally required to wear corrective lenses for something like the past decade. There had been an odd improvement in my vision after having been legally required to wear corrective lenses for decades. My vision was still good, but I felt that it could be sharper in  low visibility driving conditions, such as at night or in poor weather.

I had been running a bit late on that appointment day, so I didn't stay around to order spectacles then. My procrastination turned out to be a good thing for once because this new trauma has caused, at least temporary, deterioration. If I had gone ahead and purchased new specs two weeks ago, they would probably already be in need of upgrading.

While I am thankful that the exam revealed no structural damage to my eye, there is that change in vision to contemplate. She suggested that, if I could bear with it for now, I should return in a few months to monitor progress — or regress! I can do that. The right eye is still good enough that I can watch tv from some distance. As long as I can watch tv, what else matters, eh? I am also doing well enough with my near vision as I sit here typing this morning.

Another moderate blessing is that the BP monitor was almost free, for I was able to purchase the lion's share with accumulated points. Any port in a storm, eh. (I don't think that is the most apt metaphor, but it is still very early and all that this all that this old boy can think of.)







18 comments:

Marie Smith said...

A blood pressure cup drives me crazy. I focus on the number so much it puts up my blood pressure. It’s all a conspiracy by the drug companies to sell more pills, I’d guess. Lol. Take care, AC.

Anvilcloud said...

@Marie. I guess this is why my doc says to discard the first reading.

Marcia said...

That blood pressure is worrisome and good you got the cuff to self monitor. Hope you feel better.

Boud said...

Let's hope a new rx will help. Bp is good to watch though.

DJan said...

I would have freaked out when I saw that high reading. I used to take BP meds but then I lost of weight and got more active and now my BP is fine. I do have a cuff at home, too.

Barbara Rogers said...

I take a reading every day...and have a calendar with just the readings on it. Talked with my doc about it a month ago, having several days of 150+ readings, and then down below 140 for several days...over a month. Anyway he said let's get you back on BP meds, cause I had been off them for about 4 months. I tried a full pill for a day or two, then went to a half pill every night at bedtime. That's doing better. Good that you're keeping track of your vision as well! I've been diagnosed with high blood pressure, but when I am walking regularly for exercise it has been pretty good. These days it depends on weather and my allergies...so I'm ok now. Hope you can get by without taking meds.

William Kendall said...

I have my blood pressure checked when I give blood. It's always in a safe range.

Margaret said...

I take my B/P nearly every day. Both my parents were hypertensive from a young age, but my issues didn't come on until I was 50. I blame it on Younger Daughter. 5 milligrams of Bisoprolol does the trick for me although I had to try out a couple of medications before finding the one that worked the best at reducing my adrenaline. Hope you can get it figured/worked out!

Jenn Jilks said...

I headed a major blood clinic project in Muskoka.
Lots of people have that white coat syndrome, when the stress of the test outcome influences the readings.
You should talk during it, either! Can you do that?! :-)

Glad to see you got it down.

Debby said...

High blood pressure can trigger some scary stuff. Glad you are married to a worrier. Glad also that things are better.

RedPat said...

Scary things those BP machines. My 1st reading is always high and then I take a few deep breaths and the next one is fine.

Ed said...

Oh the joys of becoming an old coot!

roentare said...

1/3 of the adult population has a fluctuating blood pressure reading. Yet, it is well known that emotional state can easily influence the actual figure. While normal blood pressure for anyone over 60 is to be kept under 140/80 in general, the treatment option only focuses on systolic blood pressure reduction. There is no proven effective treatment for the diastolic blood pressure apart from exercise and adequate sleep. For doctors to "find" excuses to bill Medicare or health insurances, blood pressure is hardly the reason for whatever you are experiencing. Sometimes the BP reading is a secondary outcome of an underlying cause.

peppylady (Dora) said...

We have a cuff blood pressure machine. Lot less errors
Coffee is on and stay safe

Joanne Noragon said...

John, just do as you are advised by all your good docs and your wife and all will be well.

Vicki Lane said...

Scary.

Jeanie said...

Well, this is pretty creepy. I hope things level off and glad the doc is on it.

Kay said...

Both my mom and Art take their BP readings every morning and so far they are doing well with their medications. I don't need to although when I went to donate blood, my blood pressure had risen higher than Art's. Guess who was more nervous?