Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Local Autumn Photos

Several years ago, just off the trail by the river, I spied a swirl of leaves floating past. I didn't get to photograph them at that time and then forgot to go back with my camera. But I did think of it yesterday. Alas! when I go to the spot, there were no leaves floating by. Well . . . the occasional floating leaf zipped by but nothing like the mass that I had seen previously.

From that past sighting, I had had it in mind to capture a swirl of leaves in a slightly slow motion photo to show the movement. Of course, I tried to isolate a few single leaves yesterday, but they were at various distances and moving rapidly, that by the time I found focus . . . well, it wasn't happening for me.

I took other photos to compensate but confess that I was disappointed and in a somewhat grumpy state of mind. However, I did find some goodness when I looked at them and processed them later: such as this one in that very spot. The submerged leaves weren't moving, but the water moving over them created a different and impressionistic effect.


Not finding floating leaves to photograph, I looked around and did take some photos of autumn foliage across the river.



And as Sue does, she captured me capturing those photos.


There were other photo ops too, such as this unique tree nearby in the adjacent bush.


Nearby was one of the trail footbridges. I like this view with the reeds fore and then the defoliated trees aft, just past the bridge.


On the bridge itself, there were fallen leaves, right on the railing. I love the one in the middle and nudged the two beside it to form a row. I could have chosen a better leaf on the left, but it was right there at hand.


Sue got a photo of me taking that precise shot in a rather unique perspective using the railing as a leading line.  Excellent eye, she has.


We have several rainy days coming up. We'll see if there are more photos to be had afterward. If not, we've had some pretty good autumn photo excursions, whether they be local or out in the hinterland.

16 comments:

Marcia said...

Colder temps have moved in here. I'll have to dress warmly for my Wednesday walking group trip. The oaks are the last to change and now they have that burnished gold color. Maples have lost most of their leaves.

Barbara Rogers said...

Very nice the one with leaves underwater. Interesting change from leaves floating.

Patio Postcards said...

I like the photo of the bridge & trees. Looks like you both had a inspiring walk.

DJan said...

Nice shots indeed. I like the first one very much. Very abstract.

Jeanie said...

I like the swirling leaves - and the leaves on that railing. Even though they don't have the wow factor, the bare branches are all part of that thing called fall, much as I hate to admit it. That glade of trees is lovely.

Should Fish More said...

Very nice! Autumn is my favorite season, but this year it's been solid summer up to this point.

PipeTobacco said...

I do like the leave pictures at the top. It is both tranquil and yet surreal.

But I also very much like seeing the image of you utilizing your tripod! Very nice capture!

PipeTobacco

gigi-hawaii said...

That photo does seem to show movement of the water over the leaves. Good job! I like your tripod, which prevents you from taking lopsided photos.

Vicki Lane said...

I love the unique tree. And that last photo of Sue's is terrific!

Margaret said...

Sue does have a great eye! I love the forest photo with the golden light. And the impressionistic leaves too.

RedPat said...

Great autumn shots.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful shots!

Marie Smith said...

Love the glow in the fourth photo! A shoot is a great way to enjoy autumn.

Red said...

You did very well with fall photos.

Jenn Jilks said...

I know where that is!
Great captures, both you and Sue.

Kay said...

I loved seeing your fall photos and living vicariously through them.