Saturday, October 08, 2022

Everything Closes Everywhere

On this Saturday morning, which is very cold, I will drive to the United Church in the little hamlet of Ashton, to pick up the apple pies that I ordered a few weeks ago. Actually, I ordered four pies, all apple. Two are probably for this weekend and two for the freezer.

Then, I shall go to the local butcher shop for the fresh turkey breast that we have also pre-ordered. As usual, Sue will pre-cook the bird today for our little family dinner tomorrow. I'll help where I can, but she's knows what she is doing, and I don't know what she, I, or anybody is doing . . . at any time.

You see, it is Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, which we hold at an eminently sensible time of year amidst the beautiful colour of October and harvest time.

This weekend also marks the time when everything everywhere closes.

Obviously, I exaggerate, but truck food vendors will be as scarce as hens teeth  turkeys come Tuesday morning. If you are a cottage owner, you will have likely closed it up for the winter. Your favourite provincial park may be closed, as well as that rest stop on a rural highway — or at least the bathrooms may be locked tightly. Any attraction outside of urban areas, like the  museum in tiny Middleville, will have put out its Closed for the Winter sign.

So it was that we headed to the Cheeky Chippy food truck in the town nearest to us. They make the very best fish & chips. If you can see to the truck (below), they pride themselves in doing it in the British style (see the Union Jack flag on the truck), which is also really the Canadian style, but the British connection is good marketing.


We drove up late Thursday afternoon for supper, and that ↑ was the lineup ahead of me. I asked the man in the foreground if that was the line for orders or pickup: "Pickup, and it will be awhile."

It's just a two-person operation in there, so even ordering goes slowly, never mind the actual time it takes to cook the food.

You see, the lineup was that long because they too will be closed for the winter after this weekend. But the food is so good that everyone wanted one last dish. Of course, the line might have been extra long because they are also selling-up and moving onto a new gig next year.

We left, and we returned the next day for lunch. The line was only half as long, but it still took a long time both to order and then to wait for it to be ready.

It was delicious, though, even if eating fish & chips in the car is not the easiest nor most sophisticated thing to do. I mean to say that eating a meal that requires a knife and fork in the car is a lot more difficult that gnawing on a burger or nibbling on a sandwich or donut. It's not my favourite thing to do, but I make an exception for this particular food truck.

18 comments:

Boud said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Yes, it's a good time to celebrate because it's actually near the harvest that is the original point. Ours is way later, too near Christmas.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Happy 🦃Thanksgiving weekend to you and Sue and as you know we won’t be celebrating here in the US until late November this year. Grenville and I will not be preparing a traditional dinner as we’ve opted for a trip to our favorite White Mountain hotel in NH. It’s likely we will make a small turkey and fixings dinner at home and invite a couple of neighbors. Our pie preference is pumpkin with apple as a second.

The fish and chips from that food truck must be wonderful to attract such a loyal following, including yourselves. Similar meals we have had in local eateries have never auite seemed authentic compared to what we have seen in films.

DJan said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and the family! :-)

Marcia said...

Enjoy those pies and turkey with all the rest.

Marie Smith said...

It’s hard to believe that it’s Thanksgiving already. Have a great weekend, AC.

Barbara Rogers said...

Happy Thanksgiving to Canadians all! Glad you got a fish and chips to say good bye to that vendor. Things keep changing. Who knows, you may be lined up for Jamaican Jerk Chicken at a food truck next year. Well, that actually was a local choice last weekend here, but I skipped it.

Debby said...

Holding Thanksgiving at the end of November has its benefits. F'rinstance, a long drive through questionable weather makes you very thankful to arrive at your destination. Adds to the festivities.

Ed said...

My tolerance for standing in lines for anything is much shorter than my hair on top of my head... and it is very closely cropped.

Margaret said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I think your date for this holiday is much more sensible than ours. It sounds like your celebration is well-planned and will be cozy and full of good food. I intend to order a couple pies from that friend of mine; although her pumpkin last year was wonderful, I'm leaning toward apple pie with the crumble topping and a strawberry-rhubarb. I would definitely stand in line for a while to get that excellent fish and chips, especially since the truck is closing. And going away for good?

Tabor said...

A few of our local restaurants are closing or changing ownership and there is always lone lines of folks paying tribute. Happy Thaksgiving.

RedPat said...

I picked up a pumpkin pie this morning for dinner dessert on Monday. You have me craving some good fish & chips.

Celia said...

Happy Thanksgiving! For me the best part besides seeing family is the gravy and stuffing. :-)

William Kendall said...

I am marking the holiday alone as usual. I don't cook, but buy ready made meals from a shop in Lowertown, so it's Shepherds pie for Monday. Have to but a pie tomorrow too.

William Kendall said...

I am marking the holiday alone as usual. I don't cook, but buy ready made meals from a shop in Lowertown, so it's Shepherds pie for Monday. Have to buy a pie tomorrow too

DB Stewart said...

It is indeed an eminently sensible time to enjoy our thanksgiving, isn't it? Well said.
I miss good fish & chips...not that common to find in Alberta.

Red said...

Fish and chips are one of my favorites. Yes, stuff is closing for winter.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Enjoy your Thanksgiving. My friend gave me some apple.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Kay said...

I love apple pies too. It never occurred to me that you could freeze them. I hope you're having a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend.