Thursday, April 07, 2022

Spring has Truly Arrived

Spring has arrived. There will be miserable days ahead, but good days will increase in number and even better temperatures. 

One way of marking the arrival for me is to notice when the morning sun hits my computer screen. There has been some diffuse light on my monitor recently, but it didn't stand out too much. Yesterday morning, there was a very bright patch of sunlight in the upper right corner. Soon, I will probably need to lower the blind to see the screen properly. But not this morning or for the next few because it is chucking it down (British for raining hard).

That is not the only marker, however, for I have found some crocuses, lain on the grass with my camera, and taken some photos. Another photographer discovered them by accident on an abandoned property. When I first went to look, I couldn't spot them, so I went back home, brought up his photo, and was able to see where they the little clump was located — hiding in the debris by a bush.

My first attempts were with my telephoto lens.


You will note all of the bramble for this is in an abandoned and unkept property. I didn't try to remove the debris but went with the flow. Getting down and shooting with the camera was enough of a challenge, so clearing the stage, as it were, was not on my agenda.

I like the in situ photo , above, well enough, for the context is part of the story, but I still hauled myself up, went back to the car, and affixed my macro lens. Back went I to the clump and back down went I onto the slightly wet ground.



As you can see, I took several photos at slightly different distances and at slightly different angles. I think this next one might be my fave, but it doesn't matter, and my opinion changes every time I look at them again. It is not very dissimilar from the one directly above, but for some reason, I think that I like it a little more. It is more straight-on, and that changes the background and lessens the foreground busyness a bit.

It has been years since I last had the chance to photograph crocuses, so I was chuffed for this serendipitous opportunity. For me, crocuses are the harbinger of spring – along with the sun reaching my computer screen, of course.

Crocuses and my screen are not the only signs of spring, for we have also had three days of some sun and good temperatures although we are now due for three days of rain. The mercury ascended to 15C/59F yesterday which was enough to eliminate the final bit of snow from our yard.

-----------------------------------

As a little addendum and to prove we are still in The Great White North, strong and free, I present two photos from our walk in a little wetland yesterday. It is shady in there and still icy on the shallow swamp.





17 comments:

Boud said...

I love crocuses too. Around here they'd have been pulled apart by robins who love the pollen. They rarely last more than a day from opening.

Marie Smith said...

This tween time from winter to spring has many interesting photo opportunities. I prefer the crocuses to the ice and snow now. So pretty.

Barbara Rogers said...

I like the three different components of the last photo...the way the sun brings out the dead underbrush, the standing firm thrusts of the trees, and the grey-white of the icy surface of the water. Of course your crocus shots are wonderful! I too like that last one. Kuddos to you for getting into your work (and back up again!)

Anvilcloud said...

@Barrbara. Yes, that one is more often my fave when I go back for another look. That and the very last one.

Margaret said...

Beautiful photos! I love crocuses because they always surprise me. I'm glad you got some nicer weather. It's supposed to be 77 here today. Wowsa!

Karen said...

My crocus are still under snow as they are in a heavily shaded area. That won't last long with all this rain. Next week is looking marvelous.

Patio Postcards said...

Lovely photos of the crocus. Mine are covered in bees which makes it a hopeful sign. I like the last photo, kind of a mystery fantasy look.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I spotted the first crocus this week but didn't make it a photo opp as you so nicely did. The macro closeups were lovely, John, and hope your knees recovered too. Thankfully, there are no ice and snow piles around here, but we are getting a lot of rain.

Mage said...

Beautiful crocuses but ugly snow.
Yes, I like the picture you do too.

Red said...

It's hard to find crocuses here.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful close ups.

The Furry Gnome said...

We have no crocus here but the dwarf Siberian Iris bloomed this morning.

Joanne Noragon said...

Good old crocus. Reliable! How's your snow pile coming along?

Debby said...

If it weren't for the crocus and the snowdrop, I think I'd have given up on spring. It's supposed to snow here Saturday and Sunday. Into the 60s next week. Roll on, spring!

peppylady (Dora) said...

Such pretty flowers.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Jenn Jilks said...

Nicely done! Our crocus are still waiting. With 36 mm of rain in the past few days, it'll be soon! Our wetland is a bit more thawed, since it is shallower than here. I saw my first frog the other day!

Jeanie said...

Love that crocus!