Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Little Brown Jug

In this case the Little Brown Jug or Lil Brown Jug contains, not moonshine, but good ole, Lanark County, maple syrup. I purchased it when were were at Wheelers last week. Once we got it home, I thought it would make a good photo prop. 

Sue had the idea of putting a candle behind the jug (she's much smarter than I) and also to add the maple sugar candy. I don't like the candy [to eat], but she does, so we always pick up a few pieces. It is only once or twice a year after all.

I started out with a normal, 40mm, fixed lens.


I like it well enough, but if you check the label, it isn't tack sharp.

I moved a little closer with the same lens.


Using different processing, it's much brighter, and the label is also sharper.

I got out my macro lens which meant that I couldn't get the whole jug in the frame.


The label is tack sharp, but the candy isn't. Macros can yield a small depth of field, and I would have needed to use a narrower aperture to also get those in sharp focus. Alas, it was time to go and get ready for family dinner.

To conclude, I feel as though I must offer up a fiddle rendition of Maple Sugar. I have posted this tune previously, but this is a different clip.

15 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Great subject for the photos...and by candlelight no less. I am glad you showed your process, breaking it down and letting me understand the nuances of your craft. My lil brown jug is plastic, alas...and a good mimic of the jugs of hooch. I last opened it for Easter brunch with French Toast. It's waiting in the fridge for another opportunity. Maple Syrup (the real thing) is a treasure here.

Patio Postcards said...

Brilliant idea using the candle behind the jug of liquid gold!

MARY G said...

You and Sue are sure having fun. I love all maple sugar photos but I have had the most joy over the years taking photos of the steam while we boiled. And the syrup pouring. And ...
I am now hungry for pancakes with syrup. See what you did!

Debby said...

Next thing we know, our old friend AC and his wife will be running an ad campaign for Wheeler's Maple Syrup.

Boud said...

Maple syrup is great stuff. I get the Vermont syrup. And the candy is too good.

Marcia said...

My comment? Just enjoy the maple syrup on your pancakes or waffles. Photo not necessary. LOL

Ed said...

Our family has a deal with another family in Wisconsin for all our maple syrup needs. I have been so long on the real stuff I can't hardly stand those that come in a squeeze bottle anymore.

RedPat said...

I think it is pancake time.

Marie Smith said...

Great tune. I like the way you play with the camera, AC.

Jeanie said...

Wonderful photo, wonderful contents OF the photo subject! Thanks for the tune, too!

DrumMajor said...

You really should let Wheeler's know of your devotion and sexy photos of their syrup and candy. They may send you a jug or buy your photos! I'd barter the photo rights for a jug or two. Linda in Kansas

William Kendall said...

Maple syrup: one of life's great pleasures.

The Furry Gnome said...

Whatever photos you take, I'm sur the maple syrup tastes great!

Joanne Noragon said...

Do you have a new place to sell photos?

Margaret said...

Love the subject and am wondering whether I would vote with Sue or you on the maple candies. I enjoy hearing about your photographic thought processes and problem solving.