Sunday, April 03, 2022

Dad's Bible. My Photos.

For a pair of atheists, we have plenty of bibles in this house. Unless there is another one hidden somewhere, I think this is the oldest one: a Teacher's Edition published by Collins' Clear-Type Press, but I can't tell you exactly when because I can't find a date.*

Judging from a few verses noted in my dad's handwriting in the front, it was his bible: I assume his first, or at least first serious one. I surmise that he might have either purchased it or been given it around 1930, but that is pure guesswork. It seems to be a reasonable assumption, though, as he would have been 18 then and probably full of youthful zealotry.

It's well worn as the next photo fully reveals.

In a centre column of all pages, there are corresponding verses (a concordance of sorts) that one could look up to further study a word or concept used in one of the verses. I suppose that is why they called it a Teacher's Edition.

Dad had a very impressive knowledge of the bible. It would have been impressive enough for anyone, but he was a man with only a sixth grade education. Be that as it may, he knew what he knew, pastored a church for awhile, and taught a men's Sunday School class. He was pastoring not too far from where I now live in Eastern Ontario when I entered the world all those decades ago.

Photographically, I had it in mind to play around with double exposures. You can do this in camera or in post. The first, below, is my in-camera version. The open page is superimposed on the closed book. I first photographed the open book, then closed it and shifted the camera to try to get the open version resting on the closed one. To be clear: this is one image as taken by the camera.

One can also create a double exposure effect in Photoshop or with other software editors by blending two separate photos. I think my Photoshop version, below, is a little better than the in-camera one, above. It may be worth noting that I do have more experience with Photoshop than I do with actual in-camera double exposures. 


I think my preferred photo, however, is a composite that I also made. Using the first two photos of this post, I turned the closed bible vertical and put the open version by its side.


It was a little project that I've had in mind for awhile, and I finally got around to it.

And, oh look, it's Sunday and good day to show the Good Book. How is that for a bit of unplanned synchronicity, which I guess also makes it  serendipitous?

*I found some of these bibles online, mostly at a site called Worth Point. The oldest that I found was published in 1910. I still don't see a date in dad's copy, however. 

13 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Bibles kept family birth and death records years ago. My brother is the keeper of our records in the family Bible.

Barbara Rogers said...

I like Family Bibles, as mentioned by another commenter, because of keeping the family records of births, marriages and deaths. Your photos look pretty dark on my laptop...where I've got the setting for highest level of light. Having the black background doesn't give much pop to them...and I prefer the side by side version. IMHO.

Anvilcloud said...

@Barbara. Ah yes. I probably should have mentioned that I was deliberately also working on a low key theme. They are clear enough on my monitors, however.

MARY G said...

Yes, I also have a house full of bibles. From both sides of the family - Gilmour and my own. None of them have as much use as yours.
I like the side by side version a lot.
Superimposing used to be a taught skill - I had a camera club where we worked on it. Now you can do it in edit so much more easily. I use Corel products, but I recognise your skill with Photoshop. Impressive.

Debby said...

It is special to hold something that meant everything to a parent isn't it? It seems to bring them close, somehow.

Karen said...

I found your photos very touching this morning.
I have my great grandfathers Bible, which he carried with him when he immigrated from Orkney, Scotland to Canada. It is in much the same condition.
The fun bit: there are newspaper clippings saved within, from building projects he was working on as a stone mason.

Vicki Lane said...

Beautiful photos--very evocative. Our non-believing household is also rich in bibles--including a Hebrew version, an Apocrypha, and a Book of Mormon. Funny how that happens.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I love the way you concentrate on your photography and include us all in the process. (I also used to love your blog entries about your escapades with the fiddle ... have you given that up or just put it aside for a bit?

Margaret said...

I probably have a few Bibles around also but have never thought to use them in a photo. You are so creative!

William Kendall said...

I do like these. I have a bible on the bookshelf, but rarely pick it up.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Being a pagan, we have a couple of bible in our home. I'm supposedly relate tohttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rogers_(Bible_editor_and_martyr). In the old bible in our home, in family tree it has recording back in 1700's
Coffee is on and stay save

Jeanie said...

This looks like a bible that was loved. I think I have two or three here, too, including my youth bible and my great grandfather's bible in Danish. I had hoped for things written within -- birthdates and places. Alas. Why should I be surprised. I never wrote anything in mine, either. The photography is really beautiful -- so right for this kind of book.

Mage said...

Family bibles, I have one left and have been keeping it updated.