Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Bribing the Electorate

Just over 20 years ago our provincial government sent every family a $200 voting bribe. It worked; they won the next election. It didn't buy my vote, however: not after they slashed spending and programs for four years, which certainly included cuts to the school system in which I taught.

I gave the money away to good causes although I forget now what they were. I may have sent half to World Vision or a similar charity and half to the local Food Bank.

I had voted for that Conservative party in the previous election, but that was the last time I marked my ballot for the louts. Although they also won this next election, they found themselves out of power for more than 10 years after that.

Now they're in control again and up to their same old, vote-buying tricks, and I am going to mention some of them.

The previous Liberal government had planned to raise the minimum wage to $15/hour in 2018 (or 2019, not sure), but when the Cons came to power, they killed the raise. It was too extravagant. Suddenly, with an election looming, they have decided that, by golly, a $15 minimum wage is a darn good idea. The delay of 3 years meant that low wage people had to endure 3 more unnecessary years of  trying to scrape along.

There are several toll roads in the province. Now, as an election looms, it is time to stop those pesky tolls. Look, it may or may not be the right thing to do, but if it is now a good idea, it was probably a good idea 3 years ago. In my opinion, this is not doctrine and policy driving their decisions but cynical vote-buying.

Finally, there is the thing that sticks in my craw most. It used to cost drivers $120 to renew our licenses for 1 year. We'd get a sticker to affix to the corner of our license plates to indicate that we were all paid up.

With an election coming up soon, it is, lo and behold, a marvellous idea to dispense with those fees.

Not only that, but we obtained a rebate for renewal payments made in the past two years. So it came to pass that I recently received a $240 cheque in the mail.

Naturally, I deposited it. But almost immediately I donated it to the cat lady who does an incredible job rescuing cats and kittens. She has recently trapped two colonies and had them all neutered, vaccinated, microchipped and other health issues taken care of.

She will try her best to rehome them, particularly the kittens. If adult cats are feral, she has farmers who will keep them, and she will provide the food.

She does all of this through donations and online auctions; her efforts are not supported by any government funding.

Once again, I don't know if waiving license renewal fees is a right or wrong thing to do. However, if it is the right thing to do now, it was the right thing to do 2 years ago. It's not just an impending election that should drive policy. Even if it is the right thing, actually rebating drivers for past fees, is nothing but a gimmick in my opinion.

It is so obviously, a vote buying ploy, that I refused to allow the bribe to assist me in any way. Contrary to their intensions, however, it only reinforced my resolve to cast my vote for their opposition.

19 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Good grief. But really a much stronger expletive is appropriate here. I know how I’d vote too.

Ed said...

For those of us politically in the middle this sort of thing is nonstop. For four years my conservative friends complained of similar tactics, then I had four years of my liberal friends griping about the same things. Now I’m just over a year of listening to my conservative friends griping with over two years, possibly six years before the griping stops and the other side starts in again.

MARY G said...

When JG got his he said that it should have said 'Vote Conservative' on the envelope. Food Pantry benefits. Here is my problem. For the first time in many years we have a really good Conservative candidate out here, a man I know will make a good contribution. No real opposition.
I am going to have to vote locally and hold my nose.
Re school system cuts. Yes, indeed. Not to mention gutting the Trustee system that kept local school decisions local.

Karen said...

Our MP is a great guy and a benefit to our riding. His father before him represented us well. The other parties can't float a local candidate to save their soul. We usually end up with unknowns parachuting in. Like Mary G, I'll likely vote local and hold my nose.

DJan said...

I guess politics is ugly no matter which side of the border one lives on.

Debby said...

This was a bit surprising to read. That is blatant.

Boud said...

I think it's less obvious to people who don't analyze and observe, then act on their values. That's what pols count on, the short memory of the electorate. Well, at least the money was redirected to good causes in your case, AC.

Marcia said...

You should send what you wrote as a letter to the editor. You need a wider audience in your province.

Anvilcloud said...

Mary, I don’t know what to think. What I wonder is why a great guy would join and run for a party like that. OTOH, I do understand that anything not conservative doesn’t have much of a chance in this riding. I wonder how it got to be this way especially when I can’t see the PCs actually representing their interests very well.

Patio Postcards said...

You know you can "decline" your vote in provincial elections. It's not wasting your vote by messing up your ballad, you declare when registering to vote, you wish to decline your vote, then they record your information as declined & who ever wins in your riding is presented with the list of decliners. In the 2014 (I think that year) had the highest number of declined votes registered. You cannot decline in federal elections.

Margaret said...

It's easy to become cynical when observing manipulation like this, but the sad part is that for many people, IT WORKS. Your conservatives aren't as crazy as ours, but their platform has (for a long time) been one that I can't support.

MARY G said...

Leo Jordan was our MPP when the Conservatives actually had a platform and some credibility. John Jordan is his son, so all his political ties have been Conservative. He stands a good chance of being elected. Whether in power or opposition, good MPPs are hard to find. And, just to be funny, ha ha. Would it not be nice if the Conservatives housecleaned and got rid of some of the nut cases and replaced them with decent representatives.
I have worked with John for many years - he just retired as the Executive Director of our local Heath Centre where I was on the volunteer board and where I am a client. He is a good guy. He knows his stuff, I know how hard he works to be on top of things, and he is, gasp, sensible. I do not know if I can actually work phones for him, but I can say as much as I have said above, and that is more than I can say about most candidates for other parties in this riding and elsewhere.
A quiet, sensible man who knows the riding in detail - after Randy? Yeah.

William Kendall said...

I am a conservative who can't vote Conservative. Not provincially- especially now that they sold their souls to Ford- and not federally, since it appears they're going to let Angry Pierre, who in my opinion is the ultimate example of why I can't vote Tory, just take over the party.

The Furry Gnome said...

Conservative vote buying is disgusting! They are buying our votes with our own money. Meanwhile home care in the province is falling apart!

Joanne Noragon said...

Politix is politix is politix. Good for you for forming an opinion!

Red said...

Well, that's a good assessment of the situation. Politicians seem to be all about power and vote getting rather than any policies for the people.

Supreme Commander said...

There is a link which is used to download the USB Drivers for your computer or laptop if its have any of these window like windows 10 or 8 or 7 you can
Harley repair these usb drivers on your pc easily. Just Download it and install it on your pc by right click on pc and go to the properties of your pc and then click on manage which is given below in the picture

regards:
Submit now

Jenn Jilks said...

That vote buying is just awful! Everyone knows what he is doing. That's a billion dollars not helping infrastructure. Just shameful.
I like the idea someone floated of removing 407 tolls, rather than building FOrd's 413 highway through his developer buddies vacant lands. sigh.

Jeanie said...

I LOVE that you donated this to the cat lady! I don't know much about provincial politics but I suspect everything is politics!