Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Silly Jug, Silly AC

I am backatcha with the jug of maple syrup again today.

Some time ago, I showed you some of my attempts at double exposures with my dad's bible. But I haven't done much with this technique, and the jug seemed like a good subject for further experimentation.

There will be  a progression in these photos, but this was my first attempt.


To be clear, lest we forget, that is one bottle and one image as it came out of the camera. I have cropped and done my usual tweaks, but the double exposure effect came out of the camera. I tell the camera that I want a double exposure, so it knows what to do. I click the shutter once (the jug on the right), and then I move the camera so that the same just appears to be in a different place (on the left).

I did another one with greater separation between the two jugs – same jug but, as before, it  still looks like two.


OK. so I was sort of getting the hang of how to work a double exposure. Next, I deliberately moved the camera for part two of the photo (left). This is called ICM – Intentional Camera Movement. So, I was doing two tricks in one image – double exposure plus ICM.


I decided that I wanted to play a little more, so I told the camera that I wanted to do a triple exposure. I kept the camera steady on the first click. Then, I shifted the camera and moved it up and down for both of the other exporsures of the image. This ↓ is how it turned out.


Finally (yes, we're getting there) I set the camera up with an even longer exposure so that I could get  more crazy light effects. All of the above photos were 1.6 seconds, but the next and final one was a 2.5 second exposure. To clarify: that's three clicks at 2.5 second each, so a total of 7.5 seconds were required to create the final image..


Wild effect, eh?

Love them of hate them, I had fun.

14 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

It all depends upon your intention, I'd say. And having fun was part of it, as well as exploring your techniques. End result is up to you. I am glad you're taking me along for the ride.

Marie Smith said...

It is interesting to watch you at play, AC.

Jenn Jilks said...

You have the most creative ideas!

MARY G said...

I really like the swoop. And thanks for the lesson. What were you doing about background? I wonder what would happen if you backlit.

gigi-hawaii said...

Kind of wild. I can't do that stuff with my Canon PowerShot pocket camera.

Vicki Lane said...

Fun, indeed! I love seeing the process.

Anvilcloud said...

Hi Mary. The background is an improvised black. It's actually a tablecloth. There is more black on the surface, but it is not solid. It still doesn't always come out uniformly dark. I tend to underexpose, and then also darken in post. It's a very makeshift setup.

Margaret said...

The blurry ones look ghostly! Experimenting helps us learn about new techniques and there is SO much to learn in photography. (not that I know much of anything!)

DJan said...

Fascinating! Glad you're having so much fun. :-)

DrumMajor said...

I got dizzy looking at your jug photo progression. I'm thinking you had some booze in those jugs as you took the photos. Interesting variances. Linda in Kansas

William Kendall said...

I like these!

PipeTobacco said...

So, first….. I am like Sue…. And love those maple candies and always look for them when I am fortunate enough to be in the beautiful country of Canada! Second…. Please explain a bit more about this fancy “gizmo” setting on your camera. It is not a setting I have ever heard of before, and it sound so interesting. And, at the same time I was trying to think of a purpose for the camera folks to think of including such a thing. I would like to hear your ideas and opinions.

PipeTobacco

The Furry Gnome said...

Having fun is what it's all about!

Jeanie said...

The long exposures are fascinating. Lots of energy and movement!