Thursday, April 14, 2022

Flashbacks

A local fb person re-posted a 6-year-old photo of mine. 

Back in 2017, we had local flooding. It didn't much matter in our park, but some homes were affected.

While Sue and I were sitting in the carpark by the boat launch one day, a couple came by and launched their canoe from within the park, right from beside the footpath. It was a unique event, so I took the photo. To give you an idea of how high the water was that year, the normal river is back behind the second row of trees in the above photo, and quite a few feet lower too.


Re-editing it according to a whim, I made the photo b&w but kept the couple and their canoe in colour. Selective colour like this is considered kitschy by most photographers, and for the most part, I agree with them, but every now and then, it suits me to do it.

Two years later, in April 2019, the water was also high, but not like 2017.  It's the same pond but just a little to the left of the first photo. I like my original processing well enough that I haven't felt the need to re-edit this one.


It's not flooded like that this year, not even close. There was hardly more that a puddle last time I checked. If I get around to it, I'll go and grab a current photo and post it at the end of this post.

As I scanned through other April photos, I went all of the way back to April 2015. While I didn't find more pond photos, I did decide to edit this ↓ photo of the Ashton General Store. I can't say re-edit in this case because I never bothered to process the photo in the first place.  Once again, I was moved to convert it to b&w, but I was not moved to use selective colour this time. I could have left the ice cream strawberry and the sign, green, but I do think that would have been quite tacky.


While the building remains, it is no longer a general store, It's too bad really, for it was the store owner's dream, but the landlords decided not to renew their lease. (That's the story as I remember it, which may or may not be correct.)

In searching for more April flooding, after I posted the above photo of the General Store, I found that we returned the next April, in 2016, and I took some interior photos. I liked these well enough and did not need to reprocess them. (I would have posted them identically back then.)



As for a current photo of the park area that was flooded back then. No. Just no. It was cloudy and rainy and just plain miserable out there yesterday.

14 comments:

Marie Smith said...

We took a drive to an area we visit every spring and the water level is low during spring melt. That’s not a god start to the growing season this year. Love that lone tree photo, AC.

Jenn Jilks said...

It was a miserable day! I cleaned the fish tank and filter.
I really liked that store. We visited a couple of times. In 2018 it was a craft store. In 2016 it was for sale.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I like it, AC, when you explain your thinking as it pertains to the photos you post. It makes the shots even more interesting. Thanks.

Jeanie said...

Your photography is always wonderful. I can tell it's a passion for you. (That's some serious water!)

Kipper said...

The interior shots look almost sepia like. Very atmospheric.

Margaret said...

Excellent group of photos. We get flooding here but I rarely take photos of it as it's not as scenic as your shots.

MARY G said...

I love the interior of the store shots with the sepia tones. A bit different. You do excellent flood shots, yes indeed. And, yes, yesterday was a good day to stay inside and play with the editing software. Yuck!!! The Mississippi is running pretty hard up our way still, though.

Red said...

I hope there are no floods this year.

Kay said...

I really like the first photo with the splash of color in the black and white photo. But that second shot is breathtaking.

William Kendall said...

2017 was a bad spring for flooding throughout the Valley.

Joanne Noragon said...

Was your work attributed by the fellow who posted to FB?

Anvilcloud said...

@Joanne. Yes, she’s very good about that. She always credits me when she reposts my photos. One of my most viewed Flickr photos ever was of her, and she has also mentioned it.

Vicki Lane said...

That first photo of the shop interior could be a Norman Rockwell painting.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I really like local general store.
Coffee is on and stay safe