Monday, April 11, 2022

Fast Water with a Slow Shutter

I had a little photoshoot in mind for a few days, and when Saturday dawned clear and not too frigid, I got out there pretty early.

My destiny was a spot by the river where I had noticed whitewater a few days previously. As you are about to see, there was a wall of bedrock on the other side of the river to add another element to the photos.



To get the water to look like that requires a slow shutter speed. I used 1/3 to 1/4 seconds these photos.





Where I parked the car, there was a unique view of town hall way on the other side of the trail. My telephoto lens was extended to its 400mm maximum to get this photo. As the trees begin to leaf, this view won't be available for much longer.


The flag was being flown at half mast to commemorate the battle of Vimy Ridge, which took place in 1917 from April 9 to 12, when Canadian divisions overcame stiff German resistance.
By nightfall on 12 April 1917, the Canadian Corps was in firm control of the ridge having suffered 10,602 casualties, 3,598 men had been killed and 7,004 wounded.[3] The 6th Army casualties were not known at first in the disorganisation after the defeat. Later sources state around 20,000 casualties, German historians credit the high number of German casualties to Canadian and British artillery. Approximately 4,000 men were taken prisoner.[119                          

  Wikipedia


20 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Interesting photos of the slowed water. Interesting perspective of the flag & building ... I did not know the dates of Vimy Ridge, usually when the period piece dramas talk about it, it's just the battle not the dates. Four days that changed the world but still no lasting lessons learned.

Barbara Rogers said...

Sad to have war remembered, and all those young men hurt!

NGS said...

You live in such a photogenic area! You're inspiring me to go out and find something pretty to photograph in my (not as photogenic) town.

Rita said...

Doesn't even look like water. More like an impressionist painting of water. :)

Red said...

Many conditions are needed to get the great photo. You got a great photo and told us how you got it.

gigi-hawaii said...

War is terrible no matter who wins.

Marie Smith said...

The water with the slow shutter speed is fascinating, Ac. You always come up with interesting features!

Doris Potter said...

I love the water shots. Very dreamy looking.

William Kendall said...

Mesmerizing water shots.

Flags were at half mast here, and remembering the date, I thought it had to be about Vimy.

MARY G said...

How tastes change. I recall a photo class I took in, maybe, 1967, that was all about getting rushing water frozen with the light giving highlights. There was extra score for getting water droplets distinct. Truthfully, I still like to see rushing water like that, but am admiring your technical prowess in getting the motion effect so very well. the rock wall must have been an extra challenge with the change in light values.
Bring on the leaves!!! I am tired of dirty snow and brown. But, again, nice spotting on the flag.
I do so enjoy your photo shoots and comments. thank you!

Jenn Jilks said...

Nicely done!
We went frog hunting today and it was chilly. I noticed how nice the big homes are, without the leaves!

Margaret said...

The water photos are eerie. I'd never heard of that battle; it sounds like a very ugly one. :(

The Furry Gnome said...

I enjoyed learning how to photograph flowing water, especially waterfalls. Nice shots.

The Liberty Belle said...

I like the way you captured the water. Thanks for sharing the info regarding the battle.

Joanne Noragon said...

Beautiful water shots.

Vicki Lane said...

I love the creamy look of the water.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Interest look on the water. Once I retire maybe I can try more with my camera.
Coffee is on and stay safe

PipeTobacco said...

The slow shutter images of the water actually feel very tranquil to me. I think it may be the smooth appearance of the moving water. Beautiful.

PipeTobacco

Jeanie said...

That one is a stunner!

Kay said...

That's so cool how you're able to get that water flow effect. Alas, I only take photos with my iPhone these days.