Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Heather and Hair and Smock

Heather, Sue's sister, is here this week,  doing various book talks, dealing with her Cracked Pots, that was released last fall. I think she has four or five talks scheduled this week. I am planning to attend the one in this town to take a few photos. Otherwise, I will try to stay out of trouble, but I hope to post something about her visit before the week is over. Other posting may be lighter than usual. We shall see.

Poor Sue. She had planned to have her hair done as a prelude for the visit so that she could look her best for the meetings. Only her second hairdo since COVID was scheduled for Friday. Disappointingly, she got a call from her stylist early in the morning informing her that he found that he couldn't open on Good Friday because he would face the risk of a big fine. Oh dear!

She looks fine, of course, but, as you can imagine, it was quite a letdown.

I am pre-posting this to publish on Tuesday. All I have to add, at the moment, is two photos, below, that I took last week.

Sue's friend, Ivy, passed away recently. Ivy enjoyed making art, and Sue spied her smock at the wake. She took a photo there but missed the top. She later asked Ivy's son, if she could take it home to try to get a better photo.

Since Sue didn't have any of Ivy's paintings (maybe we will still get some), she surrounded the smock with some of her own artwork and supplies from days past.


I wasn't sure that I liked the photo on a black background, so I did some more editing. I changed the background to try to pick up the colours in the painting by the hat. Then, I added the framing.


Whatever the merits of each edition (and even the black was a challenge), I did accomplish, more or less, what I set out to do – in both versions.




13 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I like both but the bottom one is a keeper! Beautiful tribute to a friend!

Barbara Rogers said...

The lack of shadows for the objects does give it an ethereal quality, like these things are floating in space, just dropped in for the camera.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

These photos are both touching tributes to Sue’s artist friend, Ivy, and I think both are beautiful images to depict the artist. I prefer the black background, but can also appreciate the vibrancy of the second image. It comes down to a matter if personal taste.

NGS said...

What a lovely tribute to Ivy. I hope you share these photos with her family!

Karen said...

I like them both, but the black seems to say "remembering Ivy" more than the mauve

Jenny Woolf said...

As you say, both photos are good but I think the second with the added colour, is really charming! I hope Sue's talks go off well.

Margaret said...

I think the black is stark and dramatic. Considering the circumstances, I prefer it to the colored background although they're both wonderful. I know how Sue feels; my hair usually looks fine to other people but if there's a special occasion, I feel so much better if I've had a fresh do.

William Kendall said...

I like both versions. A good tribute to Ivy.

Jeanie said...

I love both versions of the Tribute to Ivy in different ways. I find the black dramatic and I think the supplies stand out more, but the colored background is so charming! I hope you and Sue have a wonderful time with Heather. (Tell Sue I feel her hair pain.)

Joanne Noragon said...

A lovely tribute. The black background is too stark for me. I like the pastel better.

Rita said...

I actually like the black background because it makes everything so crisp and clear for me. Fitting for a memory maybe.
I hope you guys have a fun visit.

Kay said...

They are both absolutely gorgeous tributes to Ivy. However, I rather like the contrast of the black background.

Jenn Jilks said...

What a lovely tribute!