Sunday, April 10, 2022

Grandpa's Lunch Pail and My Booties

When Sue nabbed my grandfather's lunch pail for another of her photo themes, I told her to call me down [to the basement and our primitive, makeshift studio] when she was done with her shenanigans artistry, so that I could take a few photos.

My mother had hung onto this ordinary for almost fifty years after her father's passing, keeping various papers and treasures safe inside. It came to me almost twenty years past, and I have kept in intact for the most part.

Temporarily, for her shoot, Sue put an actual lunch inside.


I added textures, mostly in the background, to give it a vintage feel.

My guess is that the lunchbox dates to the 1920s and perhaps earlier. I have written previously that grandfather worked as a bricklayer on buildings in New York in the twenties, perhaps even the Empire State Building, but I don't know that for a certainty. I mean  that I know the New York part but not the other although my mother thought it possible.

One of the treasures that Mom kept inside was my baby booties. When would I have worn them? When I was 1 or 2 years old? Let's say they're 73 years old. Then, as now but for different reasons, I probably didn't do a lot of walking.



Also inside was a tie pin (left, in the Birks box), another treasure that belonged to my grandfather. There are also two hat pins. They may have been mom's or perhaps her mother's.


I must say that Sue's new found hobby is giving me plenty of material too. Winter has always been problematic for keeping my photography fresh. While I have many older photos that I can post, particularly on Flickr, I always prefer to work with current photos, even if their subject matter is of the distant past.

16 comments:

Marcia said...

What treasures! So who do you plan to pass them on to?

Anvilcloud said...

@Marcia: Shauna has already noted that she covets the lunchbox.

Vicki Lane said...

Love these pictures and the way that you and Sue are inspiring each other.

Barbara Rogers said...

I love thinking of your tiny feet in those shoes!

Margaret said...

You probably did tons of walking when you were 1-2; at that age, kids run around constantly. And fall. And bump into things. Not so different from us old folks now. Love the lunch box and that Sue and you are collaborating on your photo subjects.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It is fun seeing the various takes that you and Sue can do with a setup and nice that you have found yet another joing interest.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I don't think they make metal lunch box anymore.
Coffee is on and stay safe

William Kendall said...

These are creative.

Marie Smith said...

That colour photo is my favourite. Perfect.

Red said...

the lunch buckets were still available in the 1950's but your grandfather may have passed on long before that.

The Furry Gnome said...

You're getting some very nice photos!

Joanne Noragon said...

I had a similar pair of white leather booties, made by Native Americans in Michigan. Mine were hand me downs, and I passed them along later.

Rita said...

My dad had a black metal lunchbox similar to that. A bit newer version from the 50s. :)

Jenn Jilks said...

What a treasure! And great job on the challenges. It has a double impact for the two of you.

Jeanie said...

Let's hear it for Sue and the great material she is providing. That color shot with box and booties -- wow. I just love that you still have your booties!

Kay said...

I really like the color on that second photo and the way you've arranged it.