Friday, April 22, 2022

Around the Sugar Shack Grounds

Of course, I captured more photos on our lovely day at the sugar bush with Heather. On our many past excursions, I did what one normally does and employed my most normal lens. By that, I mean that it is the lens that captures medium distance photos without much distortion. Actually, I have used a wide angle lens previously but never solely, as far as I can recall.

But distortion can be interesting, and since I already had many normal photos of this place, I decided to use my wide angle lens exclusively on this occasion.

Shall we amble around the grounds together?

There is a little museum paying homage to the sugar bush of days past.

A workshop mockup lies behind the rail. The wide angle lens stretches everything into the distance.

When I got near the far corner of the corridor above, I took this photo. Colour or mono? As usual, I like them both, but I converted all of the rest of the photos, so I thought that I should also show one in colour.



Henry's Garage houses an ancient Model T, and that is all that it houses. I really needed my wide angle lens to get the interior photo, for there is precious little room between the fence and the car. As before, this lens stretches the distance. 


The signage, just above the garage. 


I think my photo of the old boiler shack ↓ (I assume that’s what it is) is my favourite of this visit. 


Or maybe I like the car better. Hmmm.


19 comments:

DrumMajor said...

Oooooo, I like the color version. What are those "tools?" that appear to be long scissors-jacks things on the garage wall? Linda in Kansas

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

My husband and I really like old buildings, even small, run-down ones, because they have so much character. And they appeal especially to him in black and white. But I like the one in color here! For me it captures a world of sorts.

Marie Smith said...

The b&w photos are perfect in this setting and I love the colour too! A walk back in time!

Barbara Rogers said...

Most enjoyable walk about the setting...I'm liking those distortions. Great textures show well in B&W, but I did like the colorful pails in color version.

Jeanie said...

This looks like a fascinating place. Given the age and character of the place, I think the black and white is really the way to go here. The color is great, too. But a different feel.

PipeTobacco said...

I always enjoy looking at mock-up “museum-like” rooms of folks from earlier times. It is fun seeing all the older items. And, especially for me, it is great fun to OFTEN see a pipe or two and a pipe tobacco canister positioned on a workbench or desk 🙂.

PipeTobacco

Karen said...

I see so much more in the color photo

Red said...

Interesting location no matter what lens is used.

William Kendall said...

For me, it's the car.

MARY G said...

If you eat sausages, there is less room to ingest pancakes drowning in syrup.
Love the old shack photo, and the distortion improves the whole thing. Did you try a shot of the sap lines at all?

Marcia said...

The b & w shots are intriguing but i like the color too.

Margaret said...

I like the color photo best, and of the two you mention, I prefer the boiler shack. I didn't realize what that lens does to the background. There are many (faked?) photos of mountains around here, like Seattle with a huge Mt. Baker in the background. It doesn't look like that at all, so the photographer has used some kind of enhancement. It makes for a spectacular picture but not a realistic one.

Jenn Jilks said...

You do create striking B & Ws.
I love the colour, though!

Rita said...

Of course I like the color version myself! What a fun place to explore. :)

The Furry Gnome said...

I agree, I like the final photo best.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

What fun ... using the wise angle lens exclusively ! Very interesting and my own preference is black & white for all of them.

peppylady (Dora) said...

All photos is out standing.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Kay said...

You do the most interesting b/w photos, John, but there's something about the color I like in the 2nd photo.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I agree with a couple of the previous commenters that B&W really did add more to the images, especially that final image.